Outdated/Inaccurate traffic map reports in iPhone 4S' iOS 5 Google Maps?

Ant

Mar 18, 2013, 1:45:41 PM3/18/13
Hello.

Is iPhone 4S' iOS 5's Google Maps' traffic reports (Los Angeles/L.A.
areas) slow/outdated/inaccurate?
http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!searchin/maps/traffic$20maps$20iphone/maps/UaFo9L3LNZ8/EXvIKu42PYAJ
seems to show this problem has been around since 2009. Yikes.

Is there another iOS5 app. that can show accuracy?

Thank you in advance. :)
| |o o| |
\ _ / Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail. If crediting,
( ) then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.

Pat

Mar 18, 2013, 1:58:06 PM3/18/13
On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 12:45:41 -0500, ANT...@zimage.com (Ant) wrote:

>Hello.
>
>Is iPhone 4S' iOS 5's Google Maps' traffic reports (Los Angeles/L.A.
>areas) slow/outdated/inaccurate?
>http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!searchin/maps/traffic$20maps$20iphone/maps/UaFo9L3LNZ8/EXvIKu42PYAJ
>seems to show this problem has been around since 2009. Yikes.
>
>Is there another iOS5 app. that can show accuracy?
>
>Thank you in advance. :)
I don't live in LA but I visit often. I have found google maps
traffic reports to be quite helpful. There is, however, one point of
confusion. If you checked an hour ago or a few hours ago or even
yesterday, what you see when you bring it up might be the old data.
You must wait for it to update with the latest which could take
anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes. It isn't obvious you
are looking at the old data becasue you can scroll and zoom. I don't
know if they ever fixed that or not. I now use google maps under iOS
6, but I haven't noticed if it still does the same thing.

Pat

nospam

Mar 18, 2013, 2:29:01 PM3/18/13
In article <2MOdndnQX6tYz9rM...@earthlink.com>, Ant
<ANT...@zimage.com> wrote:

> Is iPhone 4S' iOS 5's Google Maps' traffic reports (Los Angeles/L.A.
> areas) slow/outdated/inaccurate?

not really.

> Is there another iOS5 app. that can show accuracy?

there are numerous apps that show traffic, including waze, inrix
traffic, beat the traffic and many others.

badgolferman

Mar 18, 2013, 2:31:05 PM3/18/13
Ant wrote:

>Hello.
>
>Is iPhone 4S' iOS 5's Google Maps' traffic reports (Los Angeles/L.A.
>areas) slow/outdated/inaccurate?
>http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!searchin/maps/traffic$20maps$2
>0iphone/maps/UaFo9L3LNZ8/EXvIKu42PYAJ seems to show this problem has
>been around since 2009. Yikes.
>
>Is there another iOS5 app. that can show accuracy?
>
>Thank you in advance. :)

Have you tried Waze? There's no better maps program IMO.

Ant

Mar 18, 2013, 3:33:57 PM3/18/13
Interesting. Based on "Live Map", it doesn't show road speeds?
--
Rest in Peace (RIP), my grand-queen ant [queen's side]. :~(

badgolferman

Mar 19, 2013, 7:52:37 AM3/19/13
Ant wrote:

>> >Is iPhone 4S' iOS 5's Google Maps' traffic reports (Los
>>Angeles/L.A. >areas) slow/outdated/inaccurate?
>>
>>>http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!searchin/maps/traffic$20map
>>s$2 >0iphone/maps/UaFo9L3LNZ8/EXvIKu42PYAJ seems to show this
>>problem has >been around since 2009. Yikes. >
>> >Is there another iOS5 app. that can show accuracy?
>> >
>> >Thank you in advance. :)
>
>> Have you tried Waze? There's no better maps program IMO.
>
>Interesting. Based on "Live Map", it doesn't show road speeds?

It shows congestions and speeds of other Wazers.

Ant

Mar 19, 2013, 2:13:49 PM3/19/13
> >>Angeles/L.A. areas) slow/outdated/inaccurate?

> >>s$2 >0iphone/maps/UaFo9L3LNZ8/EXvIKu42PYAJ seems to show this
> >>problem has >been around since 2009. Yikes. >
> >
> >> Have you tried Waze? There's no better maps program IMO.
> >
> >Interesting. Based on "Live Map", it doesn't show road speeds?

> It shows congestions and speeds of other Wazers.

Ah, that would be annoying when driving to read when in a hurry.

badgolferman

Mar 19, 2013, 2:38:32 PM3/19/13
Ant wrote:

>>ap >>s$2 >0iphone/maps/UaFo9L3LNZ8/EXvIKu42PYAJ seems to show
>>this >>problem has >been around since 2009. Yikes. > >> >Is
>>there another iOS5 app. that can show accuracy? >
>> >
>> >Interesting. Based on "Live Map", it doesn't show road speeds?
>
>> It shows congestions and speeds of other Wazers.
>
>Ah, that would be annoying when driving to read when in a hurry.

The program is interactive with users. I have received numerous popups
warning me of active speed traps or disabled vehicles blocking lanes.

You can customize all displays. It's highly configurable. Try it and
see how it works for you.

nospam

Mar 19, 2013, 2:42:03 PM3/19/13
In article <cbCdnRcgTtVAN9XM...@earthlink.com>, Ant
<ANT...@zimage.com> wrote:

> > >Interesting. Based on "Live Map", it doesn't show road speeds?
>
> > It shows congestions and speeds of other Wazers.
>
> Ah, that would be annoying when driving to read when in a hurry.

it's very easy to read, hurry or not.

Nate Nagel

Mar 19, 2013, 6:01:25 PM3/19/13
On 03/19/2013 02:38 PM, badgolferman wrote:

>>> ap >>s$2 >0iphone/maps/UaFo9L3LNZ8/EXvIKu42PYAJ seems to show
>>> this >>problem has >been around since 2009. Yikes. > >> >Is
>>> there another iOS5 app. that can show accuracy? >

>>> It shows congestions and speeds of other Wazers.
>>
>> Ah, that would be annoying when driving to read when in a hurry.
>
> The program is interactive with users. I have received numerous popups
> warning me of active speed traps or disabled vehicles blocking lanes.
>
> You can customize all displays. It's highly configurable. Try it and
> see how it works for you.

I've tried it, but end up using Trapster instead primarily because
Trapster has a display of current speed limit and Waze does not.

Note: I'm using Android, not an iPhone.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.