Slightly OT: Culver City's old Airport Village eateries c.1960

Larbo

Jan 30, 2004, 9:27:23 AM1/30/04
Who remember's Airport Village in Culver City c.1960?? Had some great
eats at the time including Hamburger Handout, the very first Sizzler
and the original Tito's Tacos.

Any stories or images to share of Airport Village?

Thanks, Larry B

(I couldn't find a better NG to put this in....CC doesn't have one
anymore)

Bob Barnett

Jan 30, 2004, 9:41:01 AM1/30/04

Centinela and Sepulveda-where I discovered Mexican food after moving
from NYC. The place with the fried shrimp was my favorite. It was like
12 giants for $3.

Larry B

Jan 30, 2004, 10:44:18 AM1/30/04

"Bob Barnett" <bob.b...@charter.net> wrote in message
Ah, but do you remember the names of the restaurants, the layout of Airport
Village or have any pics?

I remember that Hamburger Handout was right there at the entrance facing
Centinela, there was a large group of businesses down in the middle of the
property and Sizzler was way on the other (north) end facing Centinela, as
well. I remember the parking areas being dirt or gravel, not paved. Must
have been kind of muddy when it rained. The business area in the middle was
also lower in elevation than the entrance on Centinela.

Bob Barnett

Jan 30, 2004, 11:02:28 AM1/30/04
Larry B wrote:

The layout........hell the place was a dump.
There was a Chinese, Seafood, Pizza, Titos, and a couple more stretched
out in a cheesy wood building from WW2.
I think the parking area was covered with gravel.
We ate there at least 2-3 times weekly.
I can't believe we actually liked Sizzler then.

Now-does anyone remember TOPS at Lincoln and Pico, where Tommy's is now?.
We'd stop there at 3 a.m., pig out, and drive PCH to Rincon
Tacos 6 for $1, open 24-7

Larry B.

Jan 30, 2004, 7:55:56 PM1/30/04

> >>Centinela and Sepulveda-where I discovered Mexican food after moving
> >>from NYC. The place with the fried shrimp was my favorite. It was like
> >>12 giants for $3.
> >>

> > Ah, but do you remember the names of the restaurants, the layout of
Airport
> > Village or have any pics?
> >
> > I remember that Hamburger Handout was right there at the entrance facing
> > Centinela, there was a large group of businesses down in the middle of
the
> > property and Sizzler was way on the other (north) end facing Centinela,
as
> > well. I remember the parking areas being dirt or gravel, not paved. Must
> > have been kind of muddy when it rained. The business area in the middle
was
> > also lower in elevation than the entrance on Centinela.
> >

> The layout........hell the place was a dump.
> There was a Chinese, Seafood, Pizza, Titos, and a couple more stretched
> out in a cheesy wood building from WW2.
> I think the parking area was covered with gravel.
> We ate there at least 2-3 times weekly.
> I can't believe we actually liked Sizzler then.
>
> Now-does anyone remember TOPS at Lincoln and Pico, where Tommy's is now?.
> We'd stop there at 3 a.m., pig out, and drive PCH to Rincon
> Tacos 6 for $1, open 24-7

I remember it being a dump, too.... I just didn't want to say that. Jeez I'd
love to see a pic of that. Do you remember the name of the Mex restaurant? I
don't think it was called Tito's back then. There was a place called the
Village Kitchen but not sure what they served.

Sizzler was great back then. Sawdust on the floors, too.

Didn't get to TOPS, kinda hung around CC more or less.

Bob Barnett

Jan 30, 2004, 9:06:02 PM1/30/04
Larry B. wrote:

It wasn't

> There was a place called the
> Village Kitchen but not sure what they served.

Maybe Burgers.

> Sizzler was great back then. Sawdust on the floors, too.
>
> Didn't get to TOPS, kinda hung around CC more or less.

Taquitos were 25 cents per order, drowning in that bottled Calavo sauce.
Pastrami was 99 cents

Allen Latter

Jan 31, 2004, 2:29:26 PM1/31/04
Hamburger Handout: My recollection was that the hamburgers were 19
cents and the french fries were 11 cents. The food was always served fresh
and hot. The hamburgers were similar to McDonalds small hamburgers and the
fries were served in paper bags just like McDonalds small order of fries.

Sam D.

Feb 1, 2004, 9:52:11 AM2/1/04

"Allen Latter" <ala...@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
Great memories here. When I was in high school my friends and I used to pile
in the car and head there nearly every weekend. We called it "The Nineteen",
a reference to the price of a hamburger. I guess it eventually fell victim
to land development. But before it closed, it had spawned a bunch of
imitators.

Sam D.

Feb 1, 2004, 9:55:57 AM2/1/04

> Larry B wrote:
>
> > "Bob Barnett" <bob.b...@charter.net> wrote in message
>
> Now-does anyone remember TOPS at Lincoln and Pico, where Tommy's is now?.
> We'd stop there at 3 a.m., pig out, and drive PCH to Rincon
> Tacos 6 for $1, open 24-7

I was practically addicted to their pastrami dips.

Allen Latter

Feb 1, 2004, 2:37:30 PM2/1/04

"Sam D." <bluee...@greenheart.com> wrote in message

Yes, I remember "Clanceys" and "Scotts".

Larry B

Feb 1, 2004, 4:05:56 PM2/1/04

"Sam D." <bluee...@greenheart.com> wrote in message

Hi Sam,

I did some research on Hamburger Handout (not much out there to be found, I
might add) and HH was actually a direct rip-off of McDonalds. The owner,
James Collins, stated that he liked the idea and build HH!! He later went on
to found Sizzlers on the other end of Airport Village. He became a very rich
and well regarded exec in the restaurant trade.

"Nineteen". .that's cool. What do you remember about the businesses in the
middle? I do remember a big sign on top that said "Flea market".

Janis Tester

Feb 2, 2004, 12:13:26 AM2/2/04
In article <USdTb.8075$uM2....@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,

> "Nineteen". .that's cool. What do you remember about the businesses in the
> middle? I do remember a big sign on top that said "Flea market".

Wasn't there a Mexican restaurant (don't remember the name).

Janis

Sam D.

Feb 2, 2004, 2:05:52 AM2/2/04
"Larry B" <hate...@hatespam.gov> wrote in message

> "Sam D." <bluee...@greenheart.com> wrote in message
> > Great memories here. When I was in high school my friends and I used to
> pile
> > in the car and head there nearly every weekend. We called it "The
> Nineteen",
> > a reference to the price of a hamburger. I guess it eventually fell
victim
> > to land development. But before it closed, it had spawned a bunch of
> > imitators.
> >
> Hi Sam,
>
> I did some research on Hamburger Handout (not much out there to be found,
> might add) and HH was actually a direct rip-off of McDonalds. The owner,
> James Collins, stated that he liked the idea and build HH!! He later went
on
> to found Sizzlers on the other end of Airport Village. He became a very
rich
> and well regarded exec in the restaurant trade.
>
> "Nineteen". .that's cool. What do you remember about the businesses in the
> middle? I do remember a big sign on top that said "Flea market".

That is really interesting. Not knowing the time line when these businesses
started, I figured it was likely that either McDonald's or HH was a
knock-off of the other. Someone else mentioned Clancey's and Scot's which
were also similar and followed later. Some years ago I had the occasion to
meet Jim Collins but I never had a clue about his earlier connection with
Hamburger Handout. He was also a major operator of KFC franchises.

I really don't remember the other busineses at Airport Village except for
the Mexican food outlet adjacent to HH. Someone mentioned that was the
predecessor to Tito's. I do remember that the tacos there identical to
Tito's.

Larry B

Feb 2, 2004, 9:44:53 AM2/2/04

"Sam D." <bluee...@greenheart.com> wrote in message
Yeah! Sadly, no one seems to remember the name. When you say adjacent to HH,
do you mean down in the "flea market" area? Hey, 40+ years can result in a
little mental distortion. That is a long time ago!

Larry B.

Feb 2, 2004, 8:56:14 PM2/2/04

> > > Hamburger Handout: My recollection was that the hamburgers were
19
> > > cents and the french fries were 11 cents. The food was always served
> > fresh
> > > and hot. The hamburgers were similar to McDonalds small hamburgers
and
> > the
> > > fries were served in paper bags just like McDonalds small order of
> fries.
> > >

> > Great memories here. When I was in high school my friends and I used to
> pile
> > in the car and head there nearly every weekend. We called it "The
> Nineteen",
> > a reference to the price of a hamburger. I guess it eventually fell
victim
> > to land development. But before it closed, it had spawned a bunch of
> > imitators.
>
> Yes, I remember "Clanceys" and "Scotts".

What were Clanceys and Scotts?? Two restaurants there?? If so, where were
they located.

This is what I remember.. hope this comes out!! What do you remember
(since we cannot see to find a pic anywhere)?

Centinela Ave
| |
====||== N
| ___ ______________________
| | | Bunch of little business

| | HH about 75 | Sign on top "Flea Market" |
Sizzler__
| | yards north --> |______________________ | about
| |
| |___
40 yds --> |_ |
| ___
| |
_| |________________________________________________________
_ _Sepulveda_______________________________________________
| |
| |

Larry B.

Feb 2, 2004, 9:17:13 PM2/2/04

"Larry B." <gitri...@aol.com> wrote in message

Last attempt, promise: Please don't flame if it doesn't work out.

Centinela Ave
| |
| |___ W

| ___ ====||== N
| | __ ________________

| | | | ----> |Bunch of businesses |
| | |hh | appx 80 | Sign: "Flea Market"|
| | |__| yds north |________________|
| | about Sizzler
| |___ 40 yds---> | |
| ___ north |_|
| |
_| |____________________________________
_ _Sepulveda__________________________
| |
| |

If someone finds a pic, I'll post it.

Allen Latter

Feb 4, 2004, 12:15:52 AM2/4/04

> > > Yes, I remember "Clanceys" and "Scotts".
> > >
> > What were Clanceys and Scotts?? Two restaurants there?? If so, where
were
> > they located.

There were several Scotts. One was on Pico Blvd. near Westwood Blvd,
ajacent to the Picwood movie theater. The other Scott that I think I
remember was on Pico Blvd. near Rimpau Blvd. near were a Sears was located.
I thought that there were several Clanceys, but the one I remember was on
So. Vermont Ave., probably not too far from where the San Deigo freeway
crosses Vermont now; not too far from where the Vermont Drive In movie
theater was located.

Sam D.

Feb 4, 2004, 9:57:11 PM2/4/04

> There were several Scotts. One was on Pico Blvd. near Westwood Blvd,
> ajacent to the Picwood movie theater. The other Scott that I think I
> remember was on Pico Blvd. near Rimpau Blvd. near were a Sears was
located.
> I thought that there were several Clanceys, but the one I remember was on
> So. Vermont Ave., probably not too far from where the San Deigo freeway
> crosses Vermont now; not too far from where the Vermont Drive In movie
> theater was located.

The Scot's I remember was right on the S/W corner of Pico and Westwood
Blvds. Didn't it later have a name change and become McFarland's? My
recollecion of Clancy's is more vague.

Sam D.

Feb 4, 2004, 10:09:49 PM2/4/04

> "Sam D." <bluee...@greenheart.com> wrote in message
> >
> > I really don't remember the other busineses at Airport Village except
for
> > the Mexican food outlet adjacent to HH. Someone mentioned that was the
> > predecessor to Tito's. I do remember that the tacos there identical to
> > Tito's.
> >
> Yeah! Sadly, no one seems to remember the name. When you say adjacent to
HH,
> do you mean down in the "flea market" area? Hey, 40+ years can result in a
> little mental distortion. That is a long time ago!

I'm a little hazy on the exact location. I seem to recall that the other
eating places came along later after HH was well established. I was thinking
that the original HH building was expanded with an addition annexed onto its
west end to house the Mexican and Chinese places. Maybe I'm wrong about
that. I can't really recall the "flea market" section.

TomLuth

Feb 8, 2004, 5:44:46 PM2/8/04
Yes, I remember Airport Village fondly. Keep in mind, I was in Jr. High School
when it closed in '67 or '68. Also, I happen to like Sizzler's, fast food and
hole-in-the-wall mexican restaurants, so take it for what it is worth.

I lived in Weschester, on Loyola, a block from what is now Otis Art Institute,
and attended Loyola Village Elementary School, and Orville Wright Jr. High
before we moved in '68. My favorite dinners were either the mexican combo
plate, or Chop Suey, and a slice of Pizza. Hey, I said I was a kid! I also
loved the used book store, as I could load up on old comic books for a nickle
each.

I have also done Google searches for Airport Village, with no luck. I'd love to
see pictures, and see how close they were to what I remember.

Larry B

Feb 8, 2004, 6:15:27 PM2/8/04

"TomLuth" <tom...@aol.com> wrote in message

Hi Tom, did you look at my little diagram on what my scattered memory
reconstituted??

See my post on Monday, February 02, 2004 6:17 PM.

I wonder what your thoughts are on it? Oh, to keep the diagram from word
wrapping into oblivion, if you could remove the >'s from the diagram in
your reply, that would help. Thx

Larry

Larry B

Feb 27, 2004, 11:02:22 AM2/27/04
I did find out this week that the Mexican place was called Chico's and it
was co-partnered by the founder of Tito's Tacos!

LarryB

"Larry B" <hate...@hatespam.gov> wrote in message

11980east...@gmail.com

Jan 24, 2017, 8:16:57 PM1/24/17
Collins food international became one of he largest restaurant suppliers in the country

11980east...@gmail.com

Jan 24, 2017, 8:21:52 PM1/24/17
There is no longer a Tommy's at Lincoln and Pico

11980east...@gmail.com

Jan 24, 2017, 8:26:23 PM1/24/17
The diagram is right on when I was in Jr. High "Marina Del Rey" My best friend Randy and I spent many days hanging out at airport village and my first ever real job was at the pilot Liquor Store on Centinella and Mesmer just blocks away there was also an area where they had auctions and a pinball machine area. I have many found memories of that place it was one of the first the truant officer (for real) would look for us

donbro...@gmail.com

Mar 8, 2017, 4:29:29 PM3/8/17
I doñt think Tito's was in airport village. It was Chico's where yougot the enchilada taco and refried beans plate for 79 cents.

dsnyg...@gmail.com

Jun 14, 2017, 1:35:00 AM6/14/17
On Friday, January 30, 2004 at 8:27:23 AM UTC-6, Larbo wrote:
> Who remember's Airport Village in Culver City c.1960?? Had some great
> eats at the time including Hamburger Handout, the very first Sizzler
> and the original Tito's Tacos.
>
> Any stories or images to share of Airport Village?
>
> Thanks, Larry B
>
> (I couldn't find a better NG to put this in....CC doesn't have one
> anymore)

I remember that place well. My brother used to cook for Sizzler and the shrimp place.

levis...@gmail.com

Feb 13, 2019, 4:46:50 AM2/13/19
On Friday, January 30, 2004 at 6:27:23 AM UTC-8, Larbo wrote:
> Who remember's Airport Village in Culver City c.1960?? Had some great
> eats at the time including Hamburger Handout, the very first Sizzler
> and the original Tito's Tacos.
>
> Any stories or images to share of Airport Village?
>
> Thanks, Larry B
>
> (I couldn't find a better NG to put this in....CC doesn't have one
> anymore)

I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO FIND PHOTOS OF AIRPORT VILLAGE FOR SEVERAL YEARS NOW THEY MUST EXHIST SOMEWHERE. MY HUSBAND HAD SAID HE THOUGHT TITO'S WAS ORIGINALLY AT AIRPORT VILLAGE SO NOW YOU HAVE VERIFIED THAT STATEMENT. I THOUGHT I WOULD CHECK WITH THE OWNERS WIFE IF THEY HAVE ANY PHOTOS OF THE ORIGINAL TITOS AND THE AREA

can...@gmail.com

Aug 9, 2020, 12:38:32 PM8/9/20
Me, Love that place. That's was ours outing every friday.

P J Levis

Dec 8, 2020, 3:14:48 AM12/8/20
YES I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO FIND PIX OF AIRPORT VILLAGE MY SELF AND SEARCHING