Paul Wallach

ktabikh

Aug 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/27/96

Whatever happened to Paul Wallach who used to be on radio KIEV?

Ken

John W

Aug 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/27/96

As I understand it, he was edged out by management on the pretext that he
was bringing in too many guests discussing non-culinary topics, and the
show was given over to his then-assistant/engineer, Steve Knight, who
still has the show. In fact, though, management thought Paul had gotten a
little too lazy in his preparation and a little too sleepy-sounding on
the air. At the same time, Westways Magazine, where he'd been a long-time
restaurant reviewer, was revamped and his column was taken away, replaced
by short regional reviews by several reviewers. So...who knows what he's
up to now--perhaps he is still self-publishing his guides to Northern and
Southern California restaurants.

Sheldon Winnick

Aug 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/29/96

ktabikh wrote:

> Whatever happened to Paul Wallach who used to be on radio KIEV?
>
> Ken

Paul Wallach retired about 4 yrs ago and I believe Steve Knight is still
doing the restaurant show on KIEV 870 AM. He used to write a rest. column
for Westways magazine. I don't know if he still does it. I really used
to enjoy his show.

SW

Kim Cooper

Aug 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/30/96

John W (jwa...@unex.ucla.edu) wrote:
: As I understand it, he was edged out by management on the pretext that he
: was bringing in too many guests discussing non-culinary topics, and the
: show was given over to his then-assistant/engineer, Steve Knight, who
: still has the show. In fact, though, management thought Paul had gotten a
: little too lazy in his preparation and a little too sleepy-sounding on
: the air.

Are you sure? Just from listening to this oddball station, I'd
assumed that there was no creative station management, per se,
just a willingness to sell airtime to any nut, business owner,
self-proclaimed expert, etc., who was willing to pay for the
privilege of hosting a talk show. I'd be interested to know if
KIEV actually has a split policy of some "real" talk shows for
which the hosts and engineering staff are paid, and a certain
number of "fake" shows as well. (For non-listeners, the "fake"
shows would include the sadly-cancelled Dr. David Viscott show--
ghastly self-help questions interspersed with ads for Dr V's
extremely expensive psych clinic; the lady car dealer who plugs
her own services while "educating" listeners about buying cars;
the buy-gold-through-the-mail guru who offers great deals to
KIEV listeners; and that very scary Christian-psychologist type,
Roy Masters, he of the indeterminate accent, who several mornings
back cursed the "inner bitch" of womenhood, a leftover from Eve.
I love KIEV.)

-Kim

John W

Sep 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/3/96

mo...@cinenet.net (Kim Cooper) wrote:
Just from listening to this oddball station, I'd
>assumed that there was no creative station management, per se,
>just a willingness to sell airtime to any nut, business owner,
>self-proclaimed expert, etc., who was willing to pay for the
>privilege of hosting a talk show. I'd be interested to know if
>KIEV actually has a split policy of some "real" talk shows for
>which the hosts and engineering staff are paid, and a certain
>number of "fake" shows as well. (For non-listeners, the "fake"
>shows would include the sadly-cancelled Dr. David Viscott show--
>ghastly self-help questions interspersed with ads for Dr V's
>extremely expensive psych clinic; the lady car dealer who plugs
>her own services while "educating" listeners about buying cars;
>the buy-gold-through-the-mail guru who offers great deals to
>KIEV listeners; and that very scary Christian-psychologist type,
>Roy Masters, he of the indeterminate accent, who several mornings
>back cursed the "inner bitch" of womenhood, a leftover from Eve.
>I love KIEV.)
>
>-Kim

Some shows on KIEV bring in their own advertising and/or pay for their
own airtime, in which case they are handled like infomercials, meaning
radio station management doesn't meddle in their content. Other shows,
like the old Paul Wallach show and, I believe, its replacement, Steve
Knight's current show, rely on KIEV's advertising staff to sell
advertising, in which case management does indeed meddle in their
content. Basically, the dictum is: limit the show's content to topics
that will draw niche advertisers, and don't muddy the waters by expanding
content into areas outside your specific niche, lest advertisers get
scared off.