Vol 5 - Changes in Kazakhstan's geopolitical priorities

Kazakhstan Insider

Mar 13, 2012, 8:59:40 AM3/13/12
to kzin...@googlegroups.com
Dear colleagues,

February was rich in symbolic events in the socio-political and economic life of Kazakhstan. For the first time after the events in Zhanaozen and the January parliamentary elections, a meeting of Nursultan Nazarbaev and the leader of a Western country; German Chancellor Angela Merkel was held. No less resonance was due to the decision of the High Court in London to sentence a businessman and an opposition politician Mukhtar Ablyazov to a term of one year and ten months.

What was the decisive factor - the business interests or respect for human rights during the Nazarbaev's negotiations in Germany? Why does Kazakhstan give signs of change in its geopolitical orientation? How will the decision of the court in London influence the activity of the BTA Bank and the conflict between the government and the opposition in Kazakhstan?

We suggest that we collaboratively  find answers to these questions.

Please see:
English version: The Kazakhstan insider, vol 5 (EN)
Russian version: The Kazakhstan insider, vol 5 (RU)
Polish version:    The Kazakhstan insider, vol 5 (PL)

To subscribe for The Kazakhstan Insider bulletin, please visit its page at Google Groups:

http://groups.google.com/group/kzinsider/

Sincerely,

Open Dialog Foundation

3 Maja St. 18/4