Not able to login to Kylo-UI - Help requested

Prasanna R

May 29, 2017, 10:52:15 AM5/29/17
to Kylo Community
Hi All,
   I am trying to setup Kylo in my development environment (RHEL 6.5). I have completed installing Kylo and able to start the services successfully.

   However, I am unable to login to KyloUI through browser - it prompts for username/password and on providing the same, it just keeps loading and I get an error message as
     "An unexpected error occured Connection refused (connection refused)".

   Attached is the screenshot of the browser screen and also the kylo-ui.log file for your reference.

   Any help or pointers to resolve this issue is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Prasanna R

kylo-ui.log
KyloUI.JPG

Matt Hutton

May 29, 2017, 2:44:33 PM5/29/17
to Kylo Community
Please ensure the value associated with this property agree in both the /opt/kylo/kylo-services/conf/application.properties and /opt/kylo/kylo-ui/conf/application.properties:

security.jwt.key=<value>

Prasanna R

May 30, 2017, 12:40:05 AM5/30/17
to Kylo Community
The value is same in both properties file - but still I am facing the same issue. Any idea where I am going wrong?

Prasanna R

May 30, 2017, 9:23:12 AM5/30/17
to Kylo Community
  Thanks Matt for pointing me to the config properties file - though the particular attribute was in sync, the two configuration files were not in sync w.r.to the authorization mechanism and I was able to resolve the above issue by correcting those.

  Now, I am facing the below issues

  1. The kylo-ui and kylo-services are running (without stopping once started) but is throwing JMS related exceptions. I have attached the log files for your reference - I am unable to identify where exactly I am going wrong; please take a look and let me know where the problem is. FYI, I was able to login to the JMQ admin page (http://<hostname>:8161/admin) yesterday (when I was having the login issues to Kylo UI) but today I get a connection refused error when I try to open it.
      Please point me in right direction w.r.to this issue.

  2. Second issue is that when I login to Kylo page, I get only a blank page (left side menus are available). And when I try to create a new data ingest feed, no templates are displayed.
      My doubt is whether the above 2 are related? If not, should I import the feed templates to get them in the tool?

   Please clarify my queries. I have attached the logs for your reference.

Regards,
Prasanna R
kylo-ui.log
kylo-services.log

Sean Felten

May 30, 2017, 1:43:46 PM5/30/17
to Kylo Community
Hi Prasanna,

Can you please provide a little more Information?  What version of Kylo are you using?  Is this a brand new installation with no templates or feeds?  You mentioned earlier that you had an issue with authentication, what configuration are you using?

1.  It doesn't appear that ActiveMQ is started or accessible.  Can you verify that ActiveMQ is running and (re)start if it isn't?  Can you get to the admin page after restart?

service activemq status
service activemq restart

The ActiveMQ log file can be found here: /opt/activemq/current/data/activemq.log

2.  I'm a little confused when you say you get a blank page yet you can see menu items.  What portion of the screen is blank?  If this is a new installation then you must first import/create templates before you can create any feeds based on those templates.

Prasanna R

May 31, 2017, 12:52:57 AM5/31/17
to Kylo Community
Thanks Sean.

1. I am able to start ActiveMQ now - not sure what was the problem yesterday but its working now.

2. This is a new brand new instance that I am setting up to do a PoC (I am using kylo-0.8.1-1.noarch.rpm with Hortonworks 2.3 on RHEL 6.5). As pointed out by you, I will try importing the templates and create feeds.

3. BTW, if I choose to use the Kylo Sandbox provided (https://kylo.io/quickstart.html) , would I be able to connect to sources (say Oracle RDBMS) outside of the sandbox (assuming the DB is accessible from the machine that runs the sandbox). Please let me know.

Jeremy Merrifield

May 31, 2017, 8:32:14 AM5/31/17
to Kylo Community
Hi Prasanna,
 Yes, if you use the downloadable OVA you will be able to get to the internet unless you configure it otherwise.

Jeremy

Prasanna R

May 31, 2017, 2:24:10 PM5/31/17
to Kylo Community
Thanks for clarifying regarding the VM.

BTW, I was able to get all the services running and I created a ingest feed using the data ingest template.

When I execute the feed, it gets stuck in the running status for a long time (close to an hour and then I abandoned it from the UI); when I looked into nifi, I saw that the job is stuck at the "merge" process into Hive table.

1. Any idea why this is happening?
2. Where can I see the logs for the Kylo jobs?
3. If I need to have RDBMS as source, is it enough if I have jdbc drivers installed in the edge node?
4. And, Is there a sample data transformation template available?

Apologies for posting what might be trivial questions - I am still learning on Kylo and would like to get clarified.

Jagrut Sharma

May 31, 2017, 2:48:54 PM5/31/17
to Kylo Community
Hi Prasanna - There are two places that you can check for error logs: NiFi log which is generally at /var/log/nifi/nifi-app.log and kylo-services log at /var/log/kylo-services/kylo-services.log.

For using a RDBMS as source, you can use MySQL that comes configured out-of-the box to try things out. If you need to connect to a different database, steps are below:
1) Create a controller service (similar to MySQL that comes pre-configured). Provide information like the driver class, driver jar location, connection info.
2) Update /opt/kylo/kylo-services/conf/application.properties to provide connection information to the DB (refer the section titled "## used to map Nifi Controller Service connections to the User Interface")
3) A sample data transformation template is installed at /opt/kylo/setup/data/templates/nifi-1.0/data_transformation.zip.

Thanks.
--
Jagrut

Greg Hart

May 31, 2017, 2:56:05 PM5/31/17
to Kylo Community
Hi Prasanna,

One thing to keep in mind is that the VM has a limited amount of memory and can ingest a couple thousands rows, but may fail with much larger data. Also, if your data has many partitions then that can cause an issue when merging. Generally, it is safe to have a couple partitions with only a few values in the VM.

Thanks!

Prasanna R

May 31, 2017, 9:09:04 PM5/31/17
to Kylo Community
Thanks Jagrut; I will try them out today.

@Greg, I am trying these in my Kylo installation and not on VM.

Prasanna R

Jun 3, 2017, 12:56:46 PM6/3/17
to Kylo Community
Hi,
   Post my last message, I am now able to successfully ingest data into Hadoop/Hive using Data Ingest template; I have tried using both file and database as source and able to get data into hive.

   I am now trying to create feed using the data transformation template (which I imported to Kylo after copying the same from /opt/kylo/setup/data/templates/nifi-1.0/data_transformation.zip) as mentioned by Jagrut in one of the earlier posts. The problem I face is that when I try to create a feed, no data sources are listed in step 2 and in step 3, I get an error when trying to type in a table name (an unepected errro occured). Attached the screenshots for your reference.

   When I check the Kylo services log, I see an exception with the message " Incorrect database name 'hive ' ". I am not sure from where it picks up the databasename as "Hive". Attached the log file also for your reference.

   Can you please let me know where I am going wrong and whether the data transformation template requires some configuration setting changes? Your help is much appreciated.

Regards,
Prasanna R
kylo-services.log
DI Error.docx

Prasanna R

Jun 5, 2017, 1:32:50 AM6/5/17
to Kylo Community
I am able to resolve the "incorrect database name" issue; I had updated the hive metastore properties wrong in the config file and the problem went away on correcting it.

Gary Lu

Aug 2, 2017, 1:33:37 PM8/2/17
to Kylo Community
Can you please list out what authentication parameters that you corrected? I'm running into the same issue even after sync up all the enabled authentication parameters.

Thanks!

Prasanna R

Aug 3, 2017, 5:10:34 AM8/3/17
to Kylo Community
Hi Gary,
   I changed the  below in the Kylo Services application.properties file

hive.metastore.datasource.url=jdbc:hive2://<hive host>:10000/default
hive.metastore.datasource.username=<hive user name given while installing>
hive.metastore.datasource.password=<hive password given while installing>
hive.metastore.datasource.validationQuery=SELECT 1
hive.metastore.datasource.testOnBorrow=true

Regards,
Prasanna R