Kwort Features

Elish A-ov

Jan 31, 2019, 10:28:13 PM1/31/19
to Kwort
Dear developers:
      My issue about the main feature of Kwort.
      I could not find a comprehensive source to learn exactly what is the main feature of this OS.
     Who can enumerate at least 3 main feature of this system?

Best Regards

David B. Cortarello

Feb 25, 2019, 12:42:55 AM2/25/19
to kwort...@googlegroups.com
Hey! Sorry for the late reply.

I'm the Kwort developer; in order to understand Kwort's features you
need to understand that I created this distribution to understand
pretty much how everything works and how every piece of the OS
interconnects with each other.
* That's why I keep the system clean, so you'll see no goofy
processes running around for things which we don't normally know its
purpose or need. Also you'll see no unneeded files or directories. You
can do this exercise by yourself: Boot up a clean Kwort installed
system run "ps axf" and you'll see you know the purpose of each
process is running (really, less than 10 including the 6 agetty
processes and excluding the kernel threads).
* The package manager is simple and solid after trying several (more
than 10) approaches including also rewrites in multiple languages in
these almost 20 years.
* There's no desktop environment, Kwort GUI is just composed of
openbox+tint2+conky and then other individual pieces are included to
make the system usable to today's needs (like chrom(ium|e), firefox or
mplayer). And I try to keep customization of these packages clean and
narrow among different components. You'll also notice that because I
make Kwort to my needs, the system has a couple of (useful?)
customization to things I use, like alt+z to lunch urxvt or alt+x to
launch the browser. Every time I browse around on forums or ML where I
see experienced users I see them moving with this kind of GUI, several
terminals, a browser, and a couple of satellite tools which are
available on Kwort also; they might replace a tool by another, but
it's pretty much this.

So for an experienced and minimalist Unix user all the above are key features.

So anyways, there's a lot of stories on how and why the system is
shaped this way (I started Kwort in 2001), but in short you can
summarize saying that the system is clean and easy to understand and
manage and this has lead to be fast (a clean installation boots up in
less than 8 seconds).

Thanks for reaching out and best regards!
> --
>
> ---

David B. Cortarello - http://nomius.github.io
GPG: 3FD0 2534 D63E CC56 7D52 F8EF A5ED C275 04C9 1FD1
Kwort Linux: http://www.kwort.org