Bootloader for Kwort 4.1

David B. Cortarello

Feb 24, 2014, 10:18:41 PM2/24/14
to kwort...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,
I'm currently doing some evaluations for Kwort 4.1, which will be
pretty much an update for our current system, but thinking a little
bit in the future of Kwort and new hardware, I'm starting to think in
GRUB2 as the future bootloader.
At the moment lilo is our bootloader and thinking in CRUB2 will
allow us to think in UEFI machines.
I know that UEFI is kinda a mess and even the vendors don't know how
they implemented it, but we are gonna play safe with it and do the
standard way by creating a bootx64.efi and then modify UEFI boot menu
with efibootmgr.
Of course, the our GRUB2 installer will support the common BIOS setup.

I already have some grub2 packages to test and I'm currently working
in a script to simplify all these tasks (pretty much like the current
liloconfig that we borrowed from Slackware) that I wrote after reading
some documentation from arch [1] and slackware [2].
If there's a GRUB2 guru in the list or anyone with experience with
GRUB, it would be great if anyone could review the following script to
check if the procedure is OK when dealing with BIOS and/or UEFI using
grub2: https://gist.github.com/nomius/9196206

Also, if you have any doubts, any special requirements that you
would like to see for Kwort 4.1, or anything just let me know in this
email or create a new one to the mail list, after all, this is what
this group is all about. :-)

Thanks in advance and best regards to all!

[1]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB
[2]: http://docs.slackware.com/howtos:slackware_admin:set_up_grub_as_boot_loader_on_uefi_based_hardware

--
David B. Cortarello