4.3.5 ISO Not Booting

PegasusAndMe

Dec 22, 2020, 3:48:52 PM12/22/20
to Kwort
Hey Guys!

Just discovered Kwort after catching an article about the 4.3.5 release the other day. As a CRUX fan who has always like the idea of having binary distribution of at least some common software, I was really excited to learn about Kwort and test it out.

When trying to boot in QEMU or Virtualbox, the 4.3.5 ISO kicks out a VFS unable to mount root fs error message.

I was able to work around this by loading up *both* the 4.3.4 ISO and the 4.3.5 ISO, booted from the 4.3.4 ISO and swapped out the mounted install device to the 4.3.5 ISO in /mnt/kwort in the live environment and continue from there.

So, for my sake, I'm all good to go. But just wanted to let you guys know about the issue.

Thanks!

David B. Cortarello

Dec 23, 2020, 10:34:32 PM12/23/20
to kwort...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
  I don't have virtualbox, but I do use qemu. Could you please share the qemu command line you was using?

 Thanks in advance and best regards,

--

---

David B. Cortarello - http://nomius.github.io
GPG: 3FD0 2534 D63E CC56 7D52  F8EF A5ED C275 04C9 1FD1
Kwort Linux: http://www.kwort.org

Will Kaiser

Dec 26, 2020, 7:05:57 AM12/26/20
to kwort...@googlegroups.com
Oh yeah, I was just booting through Virt Manager, so not from the command line. I was able to get 4.3.4 to boot fine this way, but the 4.3.5 ISO gives this after booting from the grub menu from the install ISO:

image.png

Same Kernel panic message in Virtualbox too. I was thinking about testing on hardware later today.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Kwort" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/kwort-linux/CAO-1pYKRfs-t0zsa15OgCyUCo%2Bj6pfiBmV8M9qiiCqPXS06mkg%40mail.gmail.com.

David B. Cortarello

Dec 26, 2020, 7:08:05 AM12/26/20
to kwort...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. Can you please share the qemu command line you're using?
This is the one I'm using (as you can see no fancy devices): qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -m 3000 -hda kwort.img -cpu host,kvm=off -smp cpus=8,maxcpus=8,cores=8,threads=1,sockets=1 -audiodev pa,id=snd0,server=/tmp/pulse-*/native -device ac97,audiodev=snd0 -cdrom kwort-4.3.5.iso -boot d

2020-12-26-090404_1042x899_scrot.png

raphael truc

Mar 12, 2021, 9:26:56 PM3/12/21
to Kwort
Hi,
I have the same problem as the op, and your command line did not work for me (though I had to remove kvm which is disabled on my laptop)
same on virtualbox
Thanks

David B. Cortarello

May 8, 2022, 12:48:59 AM5/8/22
to kwort...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,
  I know this is an old thread but this has been on my mind since then.
  I'm working on Kwort 4.4 and if someone could try it would be great: https://downloads.kwort.org/kwort-4.4rc1.iso
  I believe the problem back then was related to the size of the initramfs in EFI systems. The initramfs  has been significantly reduced on this new upcoming release.

 Thanks in advance and best regards,
David B. Cortarello - http://nomius.github.io

Will Kaiser

May 12, 2022, 8:37:28 AM5/12/22
to kwort...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

Thanks a ton for putting some time into this. I'm downloading the ISO now and will give it a spin in QEMU later today. Will report back on how things go.

Thanks!

Will

Will Kaiser

May 12, 2022, 8:37:33 AM5/12/22
to kwort...@googlegroups.com
Quick update: This ISO worked perfectly for me using virt-manager/QEMU. Got through install and booted fine into the freshly installed system.

Thanks!

Will

Gonzalo Navarro

May 12, 2022, 8:37:44 AM5/12/22
to kwort...@googlegroups.com
Hey David,

I will take the task of testing rc1, do you need to do it on bare metal?
I mean this issue happened on Virtual machines? or just on Bare Metal?

regards,

David B. Cortarello

May 12, 2022, 8:51:10 AM5/12/22
to kwort...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Will for testing!
Gonzalo, this was happening on UEFI systems because of a large initrd, you could test on any system, here I tested on BIOS (qemu and bare metal) and UEFI (bare metal only). Feel free to give it a try.

If no issues are reported before the end of the week, I will release the final release (with a few small upgrades) and UI fixes.

Thanks all again!