Mayan Grill

1 view

Darcy

Nov 7, 2006, 11:28:46 AM11/7/06
Local blogger James Bow wrote a review of the new (to me, anyway) Mayan
Grill recently:

http://www.bowjamesbow.ca/2006/11/05/the_best_mexica.shtml

Hallelujah, a local Mexican restaurant! Actual Mexican, too, and not a
TexMex family restaurant chain.

Too bad it's in Cambridge, but it sounds like it's worth a visit. I'm
not sure when I'll be able to get down there, but if anybody has a
chance to give it a try, I hope you'll let us know what you think.

Darcy.

Rob Drimmie

Nov 8, 2006, 1:04:41 PM11/8/06
Darcy wrote:
> Too bad it's in Cambridge, but it sounds like it's worth a visit. I'm
> not sure when I'll be able to get down there, but if anybody has a
> chance to give it a try, I hope you'll let us know what you think.

I read about the restaurant with a fair bit of excitement, I've long
been craving good Mexican food, and as far as I'm concerned it's
finally here. My tastes are not as refined as many regular posters to
the group, but I've definitely found myself another regular
establishment to frequent.

They're located in Preston, on King Street just on the other side of
downtown from the 401. The trip up King Street took about 8 minutes
from Shantz Hill, which is pretty good for lunch traffic in this part
of the world.

I had the Tacos el Pastor, which is a marinated pork dish served with
cilantro and lime, and comes on either 5 corn or 4 flour tortillas for
$9.99. It was fantastic. It is served with a hot sauce and a
guacamole, and the proprietor (apparently Ruth Kirschke, though I am a
poor conversationalist and didn't ask) offered me a couple of extra
hot sauces and as much additional guac as I wanted. And I wanted more,
because it was great.

On Monday through Wednesday, from 12-1, if you order a dish at $8.99 or
more, you get a second of equal or lesser value FREE. Knowing that I
was getting 5 tacos I attempted to demure, but was talked into some
chicken quesadillas for takeout. When I got there there was someone
picking up takeout, and before I left a couple came in for lunch, but
they weren't at all busy and I had my food in under 10 minutes,
probably closer to 5.

There's a pretty wide selection of foods, and they are licensed.
Prices ranged from about $4 for some of the appetizers to the
neighbourhood of $15 for some of the higher-end entrees. There were
also several group platters on the menu, which I sort of glazed over
since I was eating solo. The vast majority of dishes are $8.99 or
$9.99.

They're really a very new establishment, and definitely family-run, so
the service and atmosphere aren't professional, but Ruth was really
great. Very friendly and fun to talk to. Ruth told me that the Record
review (James links to it at the bottom of his post, it is online here:
http://www.therecord.com/entertainment/dining/dining_358.html) was done
two weeks after they opened, and it is dated August 31, 2006. After
the review they were hit pretty hard with frequent customers,
especially on weekends, but it's apparently starting to calm down a
little bit into more regular patterns.

They haven't yet gotten Interac or credit card processing, but there is
a white label ATM that charges $1.50 per withdrawal, so bring your own
cash but if you forget there is backup.

dan brown

Nov 10, 2006, 11:12:15 AM11/10/06
"Rob Drimmie" <rob.d...@gmail.com> writes:

> been craving good Mexican food, and as far as I'm concerned it's
> finally here.

I know where I'm going for dinner tonight...

There is another Mexican place in Galt, I saw it there after a choir
rehearsal a month ago. It's on the same street as City Hall, and looks
very hole-in-the-wall. It was late morning when I was there, so I didn't
stop for food.

-dan brown bro...@uwaterloo.ca
Assistant Professor and Director, First-Year Studies
Cheriton School of Computer Science
University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario (519) 888-4567, x36278

Bubba

Nov 10, 2006, 11:40:48 AM11/10/06
I tried Mayan Grill last night. I got the Tacos el Pastor recommended
in one of the previous posts. It was really good, but it would have
been nice to have a little side salad, beans or rice (even if it meant
less meat/tortilla). Service was great.

dan brown

Nov 12, 2006, 12:58:12 AM11/12/06
dan brown <bro...@monod.uwaterloo.ca> writes:

> "Rob Drimmie" <rob.d...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > been craving good Mexican food, and as far as I'm concerned it's
> > finally here.
>
> I know where I'm going for dinner tonight...

We didn't wind up eating there--we went there, but they had a very loud,
and somewhat shrill, singer. Since I don't go to restaurants where I can't
hear my companions, we left before we got too much of a headache.

Eventually we wound up at Taka, and both got raw fish (chirashi for my
partner, hwaedupbap for me). Much more comforting.

We'll try again with the Mexican sometime later.

Matthew Hill

Nov 12, 2006, 9:18:46 AM11/12/06
In article <yg2r6wb...@monod.uwaterloo.ca>,

dan brown <bro...@monod.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
>"Rob Drimmie" <rob.d...@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> been craving good Mexican food, and as far as I'm concerned it's
>> finally here.
>
>I know where I'm going for dinner tonight...
>
>There is another Mexican place in Galt, I saw it there after a choir
>rehearsal a month ago. It's on the same street as City Hall, and looks
>very hole-in-the-wall. It was late morning when I was there, so I didn't
>stop for food.
>
>-dan brown bro...@uwaterloo.ca

This El Rinconsito Mexicana, which used to be in Hespeler. It is a shop,
rather than an eating place. Their North Mexican tamales are good, but
they run out pretty fast and don't make them every day.
They are frequently closed so don't make a special trip without phoning
ahead.
Matthew Hill

Rob Drimmie

Nov 12, 2006, 2:39:20 PM11/12/06

dan brown wrote:
> We'll try again with the Mexican sometime later.

I am sorry to hear that. They don't seem large enough to accommodate a
singer, shrill or otherwise.

Also mentioned in the thread was the lack of sides with the Tacos el
Pastor - that's a good point and I should have mentioned, sorry. From
what little I've seen, sides (when available) consist of iceberg
lettuce and diced tomatoes.

I think there are probably still some menu issues and apparently
atmosphere issues to work out.

rblanco

Nov 13, 2006, 9:59:34 AM11/13/06

We went there for the first time on Saturday. We had the tacos de
Cochinita Pibil. They were excellent. My wife, which is from Ciudad
de Mexico, tells me that taste and presentation are very authentic --
as in many places in Mexico, these taco dishes are served with no
sides. We accompanied the tacos with agua fresca de tamarindo.

We had the chance to meet Ruth and her mother. Ruth is the owner and
her mother helps with the cooking. Ruth mentioned that they plan to have
live music from time to time, so you may want to phone beforehand to
inquiry depending on your preferences.

Rolando

Alex Lopez-Ortiz

Nov 13, 2006, 10:46:20 AM11/13/06
In article <eja18m$8cs$1...@rumours.uwaterloo.ca>,

rblanco <rbl...@csg20.csg.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
>Rob Drimmie <rob.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> dan brown wrote:
>>> We'll try again with the Mexican sometime later.
>>
>> I am sorry to hear that. They don't seem large enough to accommodate a
>> singer, shrill or otherwise.
>>
>> Also mentioned in the thread was the lack of sides with the Tacos el
>> Pastor - that's a good point and I should have mentioned, sorry. From
>> what little I've seen, sides (when available) consist of iceberg
>> lettuce and diced tomatoes.
>>
>> I think there are probably still some menu issues and apparently
>> atmosphere issues to work out.
>>

>We went there for the first time on Saturday. We had the tacos de
>Cochinita Pibil. They were excellent. My wife, which is from Ciudad
>de Mexico, tells me that taste and presentation are very authentic --
>as in many places in Mexico, these taco dishes are served with no
>sides. We accompanied the tacos with agua fresca de tamarindo.

You mean to say that Mexican food is not accompanied with dollops of
sour cream, monterey cheese and pork beans? I'm shocked, shocked!

--
Alejandro (Alex) Lopez-Ortiz alop...@uwaterloo.ca
http://www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~alopez-o Associate Professor

Slick

Nov 15, 2006, 8:47:56 AM11/15/06
I am far from a chef or even food critic but have been reading this
group for quite a while and regularly check out the restaurants
recommended by some of the regulars.

I have now eaten at the Mayan Grill three times and love it.

I work very close to the restaurant and it is a great place to go for
lunch Monday-Wednesday. They run a 1/2 off second entree on those
days.

I was there yesterday and had the "Enchiladas Verdes? (sp)" and the
person I was with ordered a different Enchiladas of some sort (can't
remember name). Ended up giving the waitress a $20 bill and that was
enough for a $6 tip as well.

Going to be visiting them regularly.

Darryl

niall....@onlife.ca

Jan 3, 2007, 3:51:59 PM1/3/07

For those of you that are interested in the Mayan Grill menu and also a
restaurant coupon, please visit their onlife.ca listing at:
http://www.onlife.ca/restaurants/on/cambridge/1896
to see what is on offer.

My wife was fortunate enough to sample a variety of dishes at a recent
visit and she is now a huge fan.

Take care and bon appetit

Prabhakar Ragde

Jan 3, 2007, 4:55:17 PM1/3/07
niall....@onlife.ca writes:

> For those of you that are interested in the Mayan Grill menu and also a
> restaurant coupon, please visit their onlife.ca listing at:
> http://www.onlife.ca/restaurants/on/cambridge/1896
> to see what is on offer.

How old is your online menu? The last time I went, in late December,
the buffet had been discontinued, and some of the items I see online
weren't on the printed menu -- poc-chuc, tamales, pork in mole
poblano, pork in salsa verde. Or does the online menu reflect January
changes? --PR

--
Prabhakar Ragde, Professor plragde at uwaterloo dot ca
Cheriton School of Computer Science http://www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~plragde

aListair

Jan 4, 2007, 10:49:58 AM1/4/07
Prabhakar Ragde wrote:
> How old is your online menu? The last time I went, in late December,
> the buffet had been discontinued, and some of the items I see online
> weren't on the printed menu -- poc-chuc, tamales, pork in mole
> poblano, pork in salsa verde. Or does the online menu reflect January
> changes? --PR

It does not match what was on the menu last week.

Cheers, aListair