Hello Kitchener/Waterloo from Winnipeg

Stu

May 18, 2010, 10:45:19 PM5/18/10
Can anyone tell me who created this newsgroup, I'd like to talk to
them.

--
Stu

Follow us on Twitter - http://twitter.com/Foods4u
So much more than just a Recipe Website

Ray Butterworth

May 19, 2010, 10:26:29 AM5/19/10
On Tue, 18 May 2010 21:45:19 -0500,
Stu <in...@foodforu.ca> wrote:
>Can anyone tell me who created this newsgroup, I'd like to talk to
>them.

An NNTP "list active.times" request to news.math says this newsgroup
was created "Sun Jul 26 18:36:14 1992", but not who did it.

Actually, that's only when this particular news server started getting it,
it's older than that. I found these postings in my old logs.

Some things have changed a lot:

From postnews Fri Sep 9 09:42:56 1988
Subject: Re: where to eat?
Newsgroups: kw.eats

In article <18...@water.waterloo.edu>, plr...@water.waterloo.edu (P.L. Ragde) writes:
> I would love to hear opinions from readers of this group on good
> places to eat in the KW area.

How about a somewhat negative recommendation?

I recently ate at the new St.Jeromes Chicken place in the nearby
University Shops Plaza. The food was about as expected for this
chain. What was interesting though was the waitress sitting in
the corner. She was taking the knives and forks from the dish-
washing basket, carefully polishing them, and wrapping them in
napkins. Fine, except while she was doing this she was puffing
away on a cigarette, and presumably putting a nice coating of
ash and tar on the cutlery. So, in addition to having to request
non-smoking seating, we now have to ask for non-smoked utensils?
It makes one wonder what the cooks were doing in the kitchen.

And some haven't:

From postnews Mon Sep 12 10:17:56 1988
Subject: Re: places to eat...
Newsgroups: kw.eats

In article <84...@watdragon.waterloo.edu>, rfpf...@violet.waterloo.edu (Ron Pfeifle) writes:
> I've always heard that the best hamburgers in KW live at Harmony lunch on
> King in Waterloo. But I've always been too scared to go in.

I suppose "best" depends upon one's tastes.
If your food background is German, you might like the Harmony Lunch
burgers. Otherwise, you're best advised to stay away.

The nicest description of their burgers that I've heard is
"deep fried lard balls". This is only a slight exageration.
When I visited the place a few years ago they would use an
ice-cream scoop to scoop up a ball of very-fatty ground pork
from a large barrel, and this was flattened and fried. The
melted fat that ran off wasn't lost though, it was mixed with
large quantities of onion and served on top of the burger.

And I have a reference to kw.general from 1985.

So the kw.eats newsgroup is well over 20 years old
(as are Prabhakar and I).

Darcy

May 19, 2010, 11:24:54 AM5/19/10
On May 19, 10:26 am, "Ray Butterworth"

<rbutterwo...@math.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
>   From postnews Mon Sep 12 10:17:56 1988
>   Subject: Re: places to eat...
>   Newsgroups: kw.eats
>
>   In article <8...@watdragon.waterloo.edu>, rfpfei...@violet.waterloo.edu (Ron Pfeifle) writes:
>   > I've always heard that the best hamburgers in KW live at Harmony lunch on
>   > King in Waterloo.  But I've always been too scared to go in.
>
>   I suppose "best" depends upon one's tastes.
>   If your food background is German, you might like the Harmony Lunch
>   burgers.  Otherwise, you're best advised to stay away.
>
>   The nicest description of their burgers that I've heard is
>   "deep fried lard balls".  This is only a slight exageration.
>   When I visited the place a few years ago they would use an
>   ice-cream scoop to scoop up a ball of very-fatty ground pork
>   from a large barrel, and this was flattened and fried.  The
>   melted fat that ran off wasn't lost though, it was mixed with
>   large quantities of onion and served on top of the burger.
>
> And I have a reference to kw.general from 1985.
>
> So the kw.eats newsgroup is well over 20 years old
> (as are Prabhakar and I).

Wow. Some things never change. (And strangely, I'm tempted to
actually try Harmony Lunch now. :)

Darcy.

Prabhakar Ragde

May 19, 2010, 4:19:53 PM5/19/10
Darcy <dsca...@gmail.com> writes:

> Wow. Some things never change. (And strangely, I'm tempted to
> actually try Harmony Lunch now. :)

Yeah, like the quality of food in this town.

Try it once. --PR

(PS I did have a decent meal at Pupuseria Latinos, which had the
virtue of being cheap and friendly [the service, not the meal]. Not
the best Salvadorean food I've ever had, but not the worst.)

--
Prabhakar Ragde, Professor plragde at uwaterloo dot ca
Cheriton School of Computer Science http://www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~plragde

Tony

Jun 1, 2010, 9:05:53 AM6/1/10
lol wow, never realized this group was so old...you guys have been at
this since I was a toddler! haha

----

Jun 1, 2010, 3:44:15 PM6/1/10
Tony <openminded...@gmail.com> wrote in
ups.com:

> lol wow, never realized this group was so old...you guys
> have been at this since I was a toddler! haha

Eat your meat or you don't get any pudding