Uptown eateries... Tyrone, Rude Native, Bauer Kitchen, etc

Yappa

Aug 7, 2010, 4:46:31 PM8/7/10
The Rude Native has never been my favorite place to eat, but I eat
there occasionally, However, I love drinking wine on their patio
during happy hour (9 oz for the price of 6, or two liters of beer for
the price of one), looking out over the public square and uptown in
general.

The Rude Native used to be a hopping place but it seems to have lost a
lot of business. I know some people who think that the Bauer Kitchen
is sucking the diners away from Rude Native and other places uptown...
I wonder if that's true?

I have eaten at the Bauer Kitchen twice now, once for lunch and once
for dinner, and I don't like it at all. The menu isn't bad but the
execution is dreadful, IMO. The cod cakes are over-cooked (way too
dry) and the promised aioli is about a quarter teaspoon. The food just
simply doesn't taste good. I like the ambience, the room, the bread
and butter, the option of getting half-size glasses of wine... just
not the food. (Side note: the chef at Uptown 21 knows how to make cod
cakes!!)

My favorite place Uptown at the moment is Tyrone's, but I wonder if
it's going to make it. They used to have the tasting menu every day
but now it's just on Thursday nights. I have eaten there five times,
once for supper and four times for their Tuscan Sunday brunch, each
time having the tasting menu with a flight of wines. The chef at
Tyrone really knows how to cook. Even simple items were beautifully
prepared. I never had a dish repeated. The food is dirt cheap for what
you get, and the wine flights are a really good value too.

The Record restaurant critic reallly thrashed Tyrone's (1.5 forks),
although the column didn't make any sense (the main complaint seemed
to be that the critic didn't understand what a tasting menu was). The
same critic gave high marks to Bauer Kitchen (3 forks), although the
text of the article sounded iffy. It's a real shame how much damage
that critic might have done to the uptown dining scene.

Yappa

Aug 7, 2010, 5:21:52 PM8/7/10
by the way, I said two liters of beer for the price of one... you can
tell I'm not a beer drinker. I meant pints of course!

Paul

Aug 7, 2010, 9:59:34 PM8/7/10

if the record critic was andy coppolino, he is a tasteless putz. just
like he was back in high school when he was wolfing down cafeteria food
and praising chef boyardee!
go ruthie!!!
pauly

Prabhakar Ragde

Aug 16, 2010, 12:17:30 PM8/16/10
Yappa <ruthh...@gmail.com> writes:

> I have eaten at the Bauer Kitchen twice now, once for lunch and once
> for dinner, and I don't like it at all. The menu isn't bad but the
> execution is dreadful, IMO. The cod cakes are over-cooked (way too
> dry) and the promised aioli is about a quarter teaspoon. The food just
> simply doesn't taste good. I like the ambience, the room, the bread
> and butter, the option of getting half-size glasses of wine... just
> not the food.

I wasn't thrilled with the service, either. --PR

--
Prabhakar Ragde, Professor plragde at uwaterloo dot ca
Cheriton School of Computer Science http://www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~plragde