56 King St. N. (the tradition continues)

Ray Butterworth

Dec 21, 2010, 1:08:59 PM12/21/10
> From rbutterworth Mon Jan 25 12:59:48 EST 2010
> Subject: Re: Tyrone T
>
> On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 12:46:25 -0500,
> "Andy Petro" <andy....@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> >Does anyone know or has been to the new Tyrone T restaurant advertised in
> >the Record .
> >There is no address given except King street North. It is 5 star cuisine.
>
> That seemed weird. An large expensive ad praising the place,
> and then they forget to mention where it is.
>
> I think it is 56 King St. N. (at the NE corner of Princess):

So now Tyrone T has gone (who could have guessed?).

In its place, something called "The Embassy" has opened.

We know it's called "The Embassy" because that's what their signs say.
We know it's open, because it has another sign saying "Now open".

So all we need to know is, what is it?
Is it a restaurant?
Is it a karaoke bar?
Is it an urban church?

They certainly aren't making any effort to get people to enter their doors.

Melle

Dec 22, 2010, 8:31:24 AM12/22/10
On Dec 21, 12:08 pm, "Ray Butterworth"

Oddly, given Tyrone T's fate, they're going kind of the same direction
- lounge-y/gastropub, though on Facebook they describe themselves as a
"piano bar", and they do have live music. (Facebook also has some pics
of menu items.) I am told they're owned by the same folks who own The
Duke of Wellington, Duke and Duchess, etc., but they wanted to do
something a little different. Also, apparently, part of the place is
still closed off for renovations (and the opening was delayed as
well).

From those I know who work there, it is getting busier, but I
absolutely agree they're in dire need of marketing.

Ray Butterworth

Dec 22, 2010, 10:00:40 AM12/22/10
On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 13:08:59 -0500 (EST),
"Ray Butterworth" <rbutte...@math.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

>So all we need to know is, what is it?
>Is it a restaurant?
>Is it a karaoke bar?
>Is it an urban church?

Lest anyone think I was being facetious with that last choice,
there actually is a Waterloo church group that operated in
various locations without a permanent home. I really did
consider that as a possibility.

I can't believe I'm the only person passing by that considered it.
There was certainly nothing about the building to indicate that
this wasn't a real possibility.
It was described in a couple of old UW Daily Bulletins:

"The Embassy", describing itself as "church . . . campus style",
continues to occupy the Humanities Theatre every Monday evening.
Showtime, or worship time, is 7:30 tonight. The Embassy had a
full-page ad in Friday's _Imprint_.

and:

"We're just trying to do church for a young generation," says Brandon
Malo of The Embassy -- and that's why there will be a five-piece
band, and a crowd of perhaps several hundred worshippers, at
Federation Hall for two services tonight.

At the high point during the winter term, The Embassy was drawing as
many as 900 people a week, says Malo. "To put something other than top
quality music out there, we know we're going to lose them."
His credentials are from the Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada,
which sponsors The Embassy as an alternative to its more traditional
congregations in Waterloo and Kitchener.
Put together informal language, music with "a top 40 feel", PowerPoint
technology for the message, and lots of participation, and you have
what churches typically call "contemporary worship", Malo says.
The Embassy considers itself "nondenominational".
Another low-pressure factor: there's no expectation for people to sign
up as members. "Just come and be a part of it!"