Save the Rise & Shine Bagel Company

84jettagli

Aug 19, 2010, 2:54:50 PM8/19/10
(disclaimer: I have no business or financial stake here - I am just a
satisfied customer who doesn't want to have to do without good bagels
in this already food-unfriendly town)

The Rise & Shine Bagel Company is having lease issues with the
landlord. Not only does this threaten the location of the company,
the legal costs and uncertainty about the future could affect the
existence of this bakery.

I'm a fan of New York bagels, and can't imagine life with only
supermarket buns with holes as a substitute. I'd like to do what I
can to help the company remain in business. Here are a few things
that I thought might help:

1) buy more bagels - give Brian the support and income to continue.

2) organize community support. I don't know how this can be done
these days - Usenet is little-used, and the Facebook fan page for Rise
& Shine is moribund.

3) anyone got a bay in a building suitable for a bakery?

4) has anyone here won a lottery recently and feels like sponsoring a
worthy battle? :-)

Thoughts, suggestions? #1 is the easiest, but might not be enough.

Rob Drimmie

Aug 20, 2010, 9:24:06 AM8/20/10
For the others who haven't heard of the place, apparently it's located
at 52 Bridgeport Rd E, Waterloo.

I'll have to give it a try, I love New York bagels.

84jettagli

Aug 20, 2010, 11:34:51 AM8/20/10
Open Fridays and Saturdays, 7:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Ray Butterworth

Aug 23, 2010, 9:32:04 AM8/23/10
On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 08:34:51 -0700 (PDT),
84jettagli <84jet...@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Aug 20, 9:24 am, Rob Drimmie <rob.drim...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> For the others who haven't heard of the place, apparently it's located
>> at 52 Bridgeport Rd E, Waterloo.
>>
>> I'll have to give it a try, I love New York bagels.
>
>Open Fridays and Saturdays, 7:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Which explains why it's been failing for a long time.
For years now, every time I've been passing and thought I'd buy some,
they've been closed.

As I typed it, that comment sounded familiar, so I dug back in my archives and:

From rbutterworth Fri Oct 14 19:08:47 EDT 2005
Newsgroups: kw.eats
Subject: Re: Rise & Shine Bagels closing?!?!?!?

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 18:56:42 -0400,
Michael Dunn <pres...@whitehouse.gov> wrote:
>Looks like Brian is packing it in in a couple of months. That's a real
>shame, as he makes perhaps the best bagels I've ever had.
>
>Maybe if we buy enough over the next while, he'll change his mind. Or
>at least it will give him a bit more for retirement!
>
>N side of Bridgeport, between Weber and King. Go. Now! Actually,
>he's open only Thurs, Fri, & Sat now.

After being reminded about it in this newsgroup a few months ago,
I went there to try it, and of course it was closed.

Given the poor location and limited hours, unless they are
spending the other four days trying to get contracts with
retailers and restaurants, it will hardly be much of a
surprise when the business fails.

So how has it managed to survive for the last five years?

84jettagli

Aug 25, 2010, 9:40:12 AM8/25/10
On Aug 23, 9:32 am, "Ray Butterworth" <rbutterwo...@math.uwaterloo.ca>
wrote:

> So how has it managed to survive for the last five years?

Have a look at this article from the Record.
http://news.therecord.com/article/632386

I imagine it has survived because there are (barely) enough people in
this town who want something more from a bagel than what Horton's will
serve up.

But you'll be eating Wonder Bread soon if we can't keep local
businesses like this going.

Ray Butterworth

Aug 25, 2010, 10:54:35 AM8/25/10

I'm not questioning the quality of the product.
I'm wondering how it's survived so long with such a poor business model
(or perhaps I'm wondering why it still refuses to change to a better one).

E.g. there are 168 hours of rent and other overhead to pay each week,
but it sells its product for only 13 hours a week, most of which aren't
in most people's prime shopping time, and all that in a poor location
with little advertising. Can you imagine presenting that to a banker
and asking for a business loan?

84jettagli

Aug 31, 2010, 9:03:32 AM8/31/10
On Aug 20, 11:34 am, 84jettagli <84jetta...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Open Fridays and Saturdays, 7:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
>
> On Aug 20, 9:24 am, Rob Drimmie <rob.drim...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > For the others who haven't heard of the place, apparently it's located
> > at 52 Bridgeport Rd E, Waterloo.

The hours are sometime different, and sometimes Brian closes one or
both days, on long weekends or holidays.

If you want to check ahead to avoid disappointment, contact
information is in the Record article cited in this thread.

James Thai

Aug 31, 2010, 11:50:24 AM8/31/10
I went there for the first time last weekend. It's in the back half
of a sort of industrial building next to the Generations second-hand
shop. Easy to miss and you can't turn around on Bridgeport if you
do. I'm not a huge fan of bagels, but these were very fresh, still
warm from the oven. Nicely crispy on the outside, not too dense on
the inside. Probably the best of the limited number of bagels I've
had. If I lived closer I'd probably frequent it more, but the
inconvenient location and hours doesn't justify the effort for me.