clustering suites for enterprise linux

ishchattha

Feb 9, 2015, 1:05:24 AM2/9/15
to kul...@googlegroups.com
HI everyone,
I have been looking line and comparing feature of clustering suites for enterprise linux.  And I thought why not ask what everyone is using and get feed back on a couple that I have found.

Found the following  SLURM and clusterlabs (pacemaker and corosync).  Anyone played with them before?   Also was thinking of redhat cluster suite as well.

Let me know or give me some suggestions.
Thanks
Ish

Mike Dupont

Feb 9, 2015, 7:01:57 AM2/9/15
to kul...@googlegroups.com
Howdy,
check out http://mesos.apache.org/ it is very trendy. We will be
having talks about this at the kansaslinuxfest.us on march 21-22 in
Lawrence at the lib.

mike
> --

James Michael DuPont
Member of Free Libre Open Source Software Kosova http://www.flossk.org
Saving Wikipedia(tm) articles from deletion http://SpeedyDeletion.wikia.com

Seth Galitzer

Feb 9, 2015, 10:04:41 AM2/9/15
to kul...@googlegroups.com
I've been trying to use corosync and have always had trouble with it. It
seems to cause more problems than it solves for me.

Seth
> --

Seth Galitzer
The beatings will continue until morale has improved.

usererror

Feb 9, 2015, 10:38:38 AM2/9/15
to kul...@googlegroups.com

After spinning up a few different configuration s of mesos with vagrant, xen, digital ocean droplets and on metal, I have to say it's easy to set up a development cluster. There are many frameworks for scheduling, messaging, distributed storage and even a script for routing native docker containers with haproxy. You should check it out!

Paul Johnson

Feb 9, 2015, 11:44:13 AM2/9/15
to kul...@googlegroups.com
We run ROCKS cluster. It runs fine, scheduler is Maui/Torque
combination. Fine for traditional high performance computing.

Don't know if that's what you mean by "clustering", though.

On 02/09/2015 12:05 AM, ishchattha wrote:
> HI everyone,
> I have been looking line and comparing feature of clustering suites for
> enterprise linux. And I thought why not ask what everyone is using and
> get feed back on a couple that I have found.
>
> Found the following SLURM and clusterlabs (pacemaker and corosync).
> Anyone played with them before? Also was thinking of redhat cluster
> suite as well.
>
> Let me know or give me some suggestions.
> Thanks
> Ish
>
> --

Paul E. Johnson University of Kansas
Professor Acting Director, Center for
Political Science Research Methods & Data Analysis
http://pj.freefaculty.org http://crmda.ku.edu
paul...@ku.edu pauljoh...@ku.edu
1541 Lilac Lane 1425 Jayhawk Blvd.
Blake Hall, Rm. 504 Watson Library, Rm. 470
Lawrence, Kansas Lawrence, Kansas
66045-3129 66045-7555
Ph: (785) 864-3353

Billy Crook

Feb 9, 2015, 12:01:48 PM2/9/15
to kul...@googlegroups.com
Rocks is HPC. corosync/heartbeat/pacemaker are HA.

How's rocks doing these days? I rather enjoyed the lengths they went
to automate reimaging.

usererror

Feb 9, 2015, 1:19:30 PM2/9/15
to kul...@googlegroups.com

Ahh, been a while since I have played with rocks. Another cool thing about mesosphere is that it's a kernel for abstracting resources across heterogeneous  os and hardware and / or vm s. The system is capable of distributed stream and batch jobs with spark, storm, hadoop, etc. It's also developed to be elastic and highly available.  There is discussion of snapshots for apps in the future to save states. That's all I'll say about for now, it's got me quite excited.

usererror

Feb 9, 2015, 1:34:56 PM2/9/15
to kul...@googlegroups.com

Oh, and you might want to read the Google Omega white paper, if you haven't already. Cheers!

Jim Ford

Feb 9, 2015, 10:55:57 PM2/9/15
to kul...@googlegroups.com
Since no one has spoken up for SLURM, I suppose I will. I find it to be simple and robust. It is a little esoteric when first looking at it, but it was straightforward enough to set up.

We use it for a small build farm with buildbot scheduling up CIT and builds. It shares with our developer build and test pool as well and handles things seamlessly. Every once-in-a-while we have to reboot a node, but that has more to do with shaking out NFS cobwebs.

There are a ton of options I haven't had a chance to explore and from what I read it can reliably handle 1500+ nodes. For simple and reliable it does the trick for a group of about 80 devs. HTH! Good luck!

Jim

Sent from my iPhone

ishchattha

Feb 10, 2015, 1:12:07 PM2/10/15
to kul...@googlegroups.com
Thanks everyone for your inputs,  and other options to look at.   If anyone can think of another high availability clustering let me know.

David Nicol

Feb 10, 2015, 2:46:41 PM2/10/15
to kul...@googlegroups.com
have you looked into "direct return load balancing?"