Used servers in KCMO or elsewhere

Arron Atchison

Sep 17, 2015, 9:57:17 PM9/17/15
to kulua-l
Hey guys.
I have the oportunity to help purchase some rack-mounted servers for a new start-up here in Lawrence. I need five machines, two of them "NAS" boxes.  I've pretty much settled on the x56xx dual-socket hexacore xeon cpu, and when I get quotes $1500 - $1700 is the response; bare-bones. On eBay I see many complete systems in the $400 - $800 dollar price range, but I would really like to find a good surplus dealer that is reputable. I have heard that there are some in KCMO and I could really use your help to find a good deal on some hardware as we have a tiny budget. Also, I have never seen the racks and we are shooting for standard 1u machines, any caveats there? Some machines I have been looking at don't have rails either. Another thing that I'm searching for is one or multiple UPS for the machines, but power consumption is kind of an unknown until I figure out the TDP of the systems and such. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

Arron

Jared Starkey

Sep 17, 2015, 9:58:37 PM9/17/15
to kul...@googlegroups.com

Stallard.

As far as NAS, don't roll there. Qnap and synology are fantastic and *mostly* based on open source.

Arron Atchison

Sep 17, 2015, 10:00:59 PM9/17/15
to kul...@googlegroups.com
Well, we will be rolling our own storage solutions. I will look into that. Not sure if application developer needs actual NAS or more of a SAN, iscsi, etc. Looking into those though…thanks

Nick Anderson

Sep 18, 2015, 12:37:08 AM9/18/15
to kul...@googlegroups.com
You also may consider freenas. Many features and you can even explore their api if your interested in automating it.

Sent from my mobile device.

Kyle Hutson

Sep 18, 2015, 8:45:08 AM9/18/15
to kul...@googlegroups.com

I second Stallard. http://www.stikc.com/. Don't just order online - call and they'll make sure you have rails, will configure memory, hard drives, etc.

usererror

Sep 18, 2015, 10:39:07 AM9/18/15
to kul...@googlegroups.com

Thanks so much! I'll call them up. I'll set up freenas at home and get more fluent with that. I really appreciate the help!

Adam J. Thompson

Sep 18, 2015, 10:43:14 AM9/18/15
to kul...@googlegroups.com

This probably won't help, but I have 7 hp ML370's in my garage.  I believe there are 4 gen3 and 3 gen4, with various hp scsi controllers.  I'd be happy to get rid of some/all for cheap

usererror

Sep 18, 2015, 6:34:37 PM9/18/15
to kul...@googlegroups.com

I called Stallard and got some quotes. They were asking for names for referral credit. Hope you don't mind I gave some of yours. Anyway, thanks. Adam: I may be interested in some of those machines for head nodes, perhaps even personal use, could use some more specs though.
Cheers,
Arron