Dual boot failure

John McKee

Mar 28, 2018, 4:13:21 AM3/28/18
to kulua - google
I took a Dell laptop in for minor repairs.  When I got it back, the menu to select Linux or Windows was gone.

I found two page with help.

But the first page is directed toward just reinstalling a file in Windows.  The files are not apparently installed on Fedora 27.

So second page directs me to install two packages.

I have Fedora 19 on a USB drive.  I can boot the Dell Inspiron 15 just fine.  The DEll has UEFI.

Now my issues.  Probably simple but I may not be understanding something.

Theinstructions state that the Live Linux needs to be a UEFI version.  How do I know that?  Do I need to download a new version?

I then need to mount the boot partition.  And chroot.  The chroot fails with an error.  Best I can tell is the path is not functional during chroot.  I thought I understood how to use chroot.
Then, I need to run dnf to install two packages.  I have no issues with dnf.  Just the chroot command.

I wold paste the URL of the Fedora manual, but that is on yet another computer.

In sum, issyes of whether I am running a UEFI version and getting chroot to work properly.

I appreciate any assistance.

John McKee

Roger Heflin

Mar 28, 2018, 6:15:58 AM3/28/18
to kul...@googlegroups.com
There are 3 possible reason for the menu to be gone.

#1: they replaced the disk and nothing is there or windows got reinstalled.

#2: they switched from UEFI to legacy, or legacy to UEFI.

#3: the disk is not correctly in the boot order.

Paul Johnson

Mar 28, 2018, 12:38:37 PM3/28/18
to kul...@googlegroups.com

On 03/28/2018 03:13 AM, John McKee wrote:
> I took a Dell laptop in for minor repairs.  When I got it back, the
> menu to select Linux or Windows was gone.

When techs reinstall windows or fiddle with OS, Windows almost always
re-claims control of startup process and Linux is concealed.

Almost always, fix is to re-run the grub installer for your OS. I've
never seen suggestion to insert files in Windows to deal with this,
always is to re-establish grub's control of the boot loader.

As you note, whether system has traditional bios or uefi is an element
in this process, but I don't think it a primary issue.  If dual boot
worked before, your linux system was able to handle it. It will again if
you re-run the grub statement.

These days, grub wants everything to be automatic, will try to detect
windows and make a menu item for it.  On my systems, I have settings to
tell it specifically where to find the various OS, so if automatic
config fails for you, be ready.

pj

> I found two page with help.
>
> But the first page is directed toward just reinstalling a file in
> Windows.  The files are not apparently installed on Fedora 27.
>
> So second page directs me to install two packages.
>
> I have Fedora 19 on a USB drive.  I can boot the Dell Inspiron 15 just
> fine.  The DEll has UEFI.
>
> Now my issues.  Probably simple but I may not_**_be understanding
> something.
>
> Theinstructions state that the Live Linux needs to be a UEFI version.
> How do I know that?  Do I need to download a new version?
>
> I then need to mount the boot partition.  And chroot. The chroot fails
> with an error.  Best I can tell is the path is not functional during
> chroot.  I thought I understood how to use chroot.
> Then, I need to run dnf to install two packages.  I have no issues
> with dnf.  Just the chroot command.
>
> I wold paste the URL of the Fedora manual, but that is on yet another
> computer.
>
> In sum, issyes of whether I am running a UEFI version and getting
> chroot to work properly.
>
> I appreciate any assistance.
>
> John McKee
> --

Paul E. Johnson University of Kansas
Professor Director, Center for Research
Political Science Methods & Data Analysis (CRMDA)
http://pj.freefaculty.org http://crmda.ku.edu
email: paul...@ku.edu
Address: CRMDA
Watson Library, Suite 470