Chapter 7 I Question 1 I Google.gov Is What's Good for Google Good for the Government

Maha Alfasi

Apr 1, 2015, 6:55:47 PM4/1/15
to kuel...@googlegroups.com
Google gave engineers the freedom to dream. Also, it gave engineers the power to do whatever they want to do. Do you think that helps the government in general? why and why not?

Vanessa Schott

Apr 7, 2015, 11:49:11 PM4/7/15
to kuel...@googlegroups.com
I think the government states they support a freedom to dream but in all likelihood there are too many laws and micromanaging officials to allow people to do what they want.  To a point there needs to be control for the safety and betterment of the country but in the long run it makes it nearly impossible to get improvement or timely change made in the government.  I think the obstacles the Googlers ran into with their idealistic plans and googley experiences when they went to work for the Obama administration are just a small example of the restrictions.

Alauna Thornton

Apr 8, 2015, 1:15:29 AM4/8/15
to kuel...@googlegroups.com

On Wednesday, April 1, 2015 at 5:55:47 PM UTC-5, Maha Alfasi wrote:
Google gave engineers the freedom to dream. Also, it gave engineers the power to do whatever they want to do. Do you think that helps the government in general? why and why not?

Yes, I believe that giving engineers the power to be creative and solve new problems.  The concept that Google wants it employees to work on personal creative ideas helps the company grow.  Fro example Dan Siroker a young product manager at Google was entranced by the idea shared by Obama that the government should be like Google and that everyone should change the world.  Siroker share with Obama that he was visiting from Google and Obama shared that they needed to be more Google integrated. Siroker left Google to be come the chief analytic officer of the Obama campaign.  Siroker used Google’s Website Optimizer tool and helped raised $500 million online to McCain’s $210 million.

Later the Googlers at the white house share “They only know that we’re bring magical Inernet pixie dust—wer’re supposed to sprinkle that over things and make them better, though they ‘re not really sure how. “  This is how they started to get permission to use Facebook, Linked-in and Twitter on the White House computers.

Mohammad aljaidyah

Apr 8, 2015, 1:37:44 AM4/8/15
to kuel...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I believe that when Google gives engineers the freedom to dream and the power to do whatever they want to do, it helps the government because that opportunity will release engineers from constraints. As a result, they will create and invent new designs that serve the government in general.

Sean Hadley

Apr 8, 2015, 9:47:03 AM4/8/15
to kuel...@googlegroups.com
Historically giving the free market has always helped out governments in general. The US government used private corporations to help with the war effort to win WWII. In turn, private companies like GM, Boeing, etc. were able to utilize their engineers to advance military technology well beyond their pre-war levels. These advancements, like the transistor (that led to the development of personal computing) also found their way into the consumer market by the 1960's.

Maha Alfasi

Apr 8, 2015, 3:59:08 PM4/8/15
to kuel...@googlegroups.com
I agree with all of you Google support the engineers freedom to develop Google. In addition, I think the government's restrictions benefit peoples' life regarding safety and security control.