Chapter 2 | Question 1 | Googlenomics: Cracking the Code on Internet Profits

Alghamdi Osamah

Mar 4, 2015, 7:38:59 PM3/4/15
to kuel...@googlegroups.com
  1. Google was very selective about including ads on their search pages because they wanted their website to be as user friendly as possible. As a Google user, do you feel like Google has been successful in accomplishing this goal?

Beverly Pell

Mar 10, 2015, 1:17:15 PM3/10/15
to kuel...@googlegroups.com
Yes. I think Google has done a very good job of designing ads that are appropriate and tailored to the user. The algorithms are exceptional. The engineers are exceptional. The whole system is exceptional. And if it's not, the users will give feedback and Google will change it. I prefer to use Google over other browsers such Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Safari. But I have never used Bing or Opera. I'd love to hear from those that have used Bing or Opera, or other search engines which are favorites. Thanks.

Mohammad aljaidyah

Mar 10, 2015, 9:26:51 PM3/10/15
to kuel...@googlegroups.com

On Wednesday, March 4, 2015 at 6:38:59 PM UTC-6, Alghamdi Osamah wrote:
  1. Google was very selective about including ads on their search pages because they wanted their website to be as user friendly as possible. As a Google user, do you feel like Google has been successful in accomplishing this goal?
Yes, I feel that Google has been successful in accomplishing their goal as being user friendly. I use Google because I do not notice or am bothered by advertisements. I have tried other search engines which had ads that bothered me while I was searching for information.

Maha Alfasi

Mar 11, 2015, 12:48:15 AM3/11/15
to kuel...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I believe that Google has been included successfully  ads on their search pages
When folks search on Google, ads will seem at the highest of the page, on the aspect of the page, or on rock bottom of the page. solely the very best ranking ads area unit eligible to point out at the highest of the page.

Melania Piedra Barrera

Mar 11, 2015, 12:02:54 PM3/11/15
to kuel...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I believe they have been successful in that matter.  I think Google is the most friendly search engine of all.
As a Firefox user, I hated when they changed their default search engine to Yahoo!, fortunately, that is a feature you can easily change.

Sean Hadley

Mar 11, 2015, 5:32:59 PM3/11/15
to kuel...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I believe that they have been successful in making the site easy to use through years of refinements and page simplifications. However, I believe that there is a point in which you can "dumb-down" a search engine to the point of being annoying. I find that their suggested searches sometimes miss the mark of the specific subject of my searches. Furthermore, I personally disagree with their use of targeting their ads through scanning your emails or Google internet searches and browser history. I feel that this is an invasion of privacy.

Jake Montgomery

Mar 11, 2015, 7:03:40 PM3/11/15
to kuel...@googlegroups.com
I've gotta say...I love how few ads there are. I hate going to a website and being inundated by the advertisements. Google is very successful in regard to this goal.

Christopher Simpson

Mar 16, 2015, 10:51:40 PM3/16/15
to kuel...@googlegroups.com
I normally use a browser extension that eliminates ads altogether, so I am not used to seeing ads on any of the browsers. But as far as which ads are the least intrusive, I would have to say that google is the best. The other serach engines design the ads in a way that they are noticeable from the rest of the page, but for the most part google's ads look like they are part of the page.

Peter Schaad

Mar 23, 2015, 2:15:38 PM3/23/15
to kuel...@googlegroups.com
Google has been very successful in this goal.  As a support technician, many of the people that I work with on a daily basis do not even realize the difference between ads and google search results.  The ads are not overly flashy or offensive and almost always relevant  to the users search.