Chapter 4 | Question 4 | Google's Cloud: Building Data Centers the Hold Everything Ever Written

sandra vega carrero

Mar 11, 2015, 3:32:15 PM3/11/15
to kuel...@googlegroups.com
4. Buchheit started to work in Google in 1999 with the idea of creating an email much better than  Microsoft's Hotmail and Yahoo. On of the benefits of his project was the storage his email was planning to have.  Page and Brin fully supported this project in such a way that they "adopted it was their primary email system and would often drop by to give critiscisms and suggestions" What does this attitud tell you about the importance of the feedback?

Beverly Pell

Mar 28, 2015, 11:20:16 AM3/28/15
to kuel...@googlegroups.com
Buchheit listened to feedback, but he ran everything through a filter. The best innovators listen and then go with their gut. Buchheit says:

"Very often, if you do something new, the actual feedback people will say is, 'This is what we tried before and it doesn't and won't work,'" he says. "If you're naive, you may not even realize that it's been tried and didn't work," he says. "We tend to overlearn from the past. Just because something didn't work in the past, doesn't mean that it can't work in the future—especially in technology where things are constantly changing. Maybe the technology changed, the world has changed, or you're just simply taking a different approach. All these people [at Google] were telling me that it was a bad idea and it would fail," he says. "But I didn't really care, I thought they were all wrong and tried it anyway—and it worked."

Nice article in its entirety....

Sean Hadley

Mar 29, 2015, 1:50:39 PM3/29/15
to kuel...@googlegroups.com
Google continues it's tradition of listening to ideas that come from a variety of sources as to how to improve the experience of using their services. In my opinion, there are many other industries that have finally come around to widening their idea base by including feedback from their consumers as well as from within. Do I like [can keep up] with all of the changes that they make to their services? No. But it is nice that they really seem to care that their services actually work for their consumers. The auto industry is a good example. For many years consumers were stuck with what they wanted people to have in their cars. Over they years, generally due to poor sales, etc., them made changes in their business model to closer mirror Google. They have made great strides in improving cutomer service, driving and ride experiences in their products by surveying their consumers as to what they like/dislike/want from their cars. I know that I received several surveys in my email since purchasing our new vehicle a couple of years ago. Furthermore, the dealer's service department sends reminders for service and satisfaction surveys after I take it in for routine maintenance.

Mohammad aljaidyah

Mar 31, 2015, 9:00:49 PM3/31/15
to kuel...@googlegroups.com
Feedback is extremely essential for any products, especially from customrs because they are the ones who use the products. Therefore, if inventors ignore their customers' feedback, the customers may find alternative products that are easier to use. Inventors should receive feedback to enhance a new product. Google was positive toward the idea of feedback, and that characteristic is one that every company should apply.

sandra vega carrero

Apr 1, 2015, 3:01:10 PM4/1/15
to kuel...@googlegroups.com
That quotation summarizes the importance of the hole processess of thinking and the acceptance of errors...that article is very interesting