Chapter 6 Norman Q2 - One of Norman's pet peeves is "creeping featurism". Describe an example of a

Mohammad aljaidyah

Feb 25, 2015, 2:48:32 AM2/25/15
to kuel...@googlegroups.com
Chapter 6 Norman Q2 - One of Norman's pet peeves is "creeping featurism". Describe an example of a product that is rendered unusable by most novice users because of its plethora of features, and a design alternative that would correct the problem.

Beverly Pell

Mar 2, 2015, 11:48:52 AM3/2/15
to kuel...@googlegroups.com
One example might be Microsoft Windows 8. The colorful, large icons on the screen replaced the blank screen, and was similar to the online styles of the pictures on internet web pages. But it was distracting to some users (my computer savvy dad and techie daughter). I have never used it. But they were really frustrated with the change and told me to purchase a new computer with Windows 7 before they disappear. The should be a way to incorporate the best of Windows 7 into 8, instead of wiping out the simple features of the former and adding extras that are not easy to get around.

Mohammad aljaidyah

Mar 3, 2015, 8:51:24 PM3/3/15
to kuel...@googlegroups.com
Beverly that is a great example of product overwhelming to a novice user.That reminds me of when I bought my iPhone and used it for the first time. I was confused because the previous cell phone was easy for me to use, and the iPhone has many features and apps that I was unfamiliar with .

Christopher Simpson

Mar 3, 2015, 9:44:03 PM3/3/15
to kuel...@googlegroups.com
I think that many computer programs suffer from this, especially design applications. For example, take Photoshop, there is just so much that it can do that new users can be confused when they first open it. Just learning where each function is and how to use them takes alot of time. Especially when some menus have sub menus, or a tool has specific features or settings other than the default mode.

What makes it worse is that Adobe has designed their interfaces in other similar programs such as Illustrator and Flash to look about the same. If you have to use more than one program, which many designers do, then just figuring out which function goes to which program can be hard to remember when each program has so many different features.

Alghamdi Osamah

Mar 4, 2015, 6:38:28 PM3/4/15
to kuel...@googlegroups.com

This is very important question. When I read it I remember old sample TV remote control that has only a few buttons and you can easily recognize the purpose of each one. However, now TV remote controls became very complicated and they have a lot of buttons that make you confused.