KUDO operators in airgapped environments

Michael Tanenbaum

Dec 19, 2019, 9:57:39 AM12/19/19
to kudobuilder
Greetings KUDO Community!

I'm working with an organization that is evaluating KUDO Cassandra for a massive on-prem, baremetal use case. This would be a referenceable deployment and could really make for a good story to share with others thinking about using KUDO operators!

Question: Has anyone successfully deployed or given thought to the steps necessary to deploy KUDO and KUDO Cassandra in an airgapped environment?

I have some ideas, but wanted to reach out to the community in case anyone had learnings to share. If anyone is interested in collaborating, I'd welcome the help!

Thanks all and happy holidays!

Mike

--
Michael Tanenbaum
Senior Sales Engineer, D2iQ

Nick Jones

Dec 19, 2019, 10:01:54 AM12/19/19
to Michael Tanenbaum, kudobuilder, Graham Hares, Taco Scargo
Hey Michael.

I know Graham and Taco (CC’d as I’m not sure they’re subscribed to this group) had some luck recently deploying KUDO and a couple of services into an airgapped environment. I don’t know much beyond that but maybe they have something they could share.

--

-Nick

Michael Tanenbaum

Dec 19, 2019, 10:03:39 AM12/19/19
to Nick Jones, kudobuilder, Graham Hares, Taco Scargo
Nick - Awesome, thanks!

Taco and Graham - Great to hear y'all have had some success on this front. Do you have any materials you could share with me? I'm also happy to schedule time if a call would be easier for you.

Taco Scargo

Dec 19, 2019, 11:09:04 AM12/19/19
to Michael Tanenbaum, Graham Hares, Nick Jones, kudobuilder
We did not do anything special. Just downloaded all the bits and looked agh the tgz files to see what images we needed to provide in the local docker registry. Graham might have something to add if I missed anything....

Op do 19 dec. 2019 om 16:03 schreef Michael Tanenbaum <mtane...@d2iq.com>

Taco Scargo

EMEA Sentior Solutions Engineer

Phone: +31 6 4543 4628

Ken Sipe

Dec 19, 2019, 11:49:07 AM12/19/19
to Taco Scargo, Michael Tanenbaum, Graham Hares, Nick Jones, kudobuilder
Exactly!

1. Need a reachable repo
2. Need to config client to use reachable repo
3. Need all urls or references in the index of the repo to be reachable
4. Need all references / artifacts referenced in the operator to be reachable (docker images)

All achievable but not part of kudo itself… kudo is already designed to support this.   The rest is up to operator dev and admin that sets up repo.    Happy to help if needed.   Probably worth a blog… I’ll add that to my todo list.

Ken

Michael Tanenbaum

Dec 19, 2019, 11:52:34 AM12/19/19
to Ken Sipe, Taco Scargo, Graham Hares, Nick Jones, kudobuilder
Thanks Ken and Taco!

Taco Scargo

Dec 19, 2019, 12:23:23 PM12/19/19
to Michael Tanenbaum, Graham Hares, Ken Sipe, Nick Jones, kudobuilder
What I was thinking while at the PoC customer is ro create a script that scans the things in the tgz, then downloads the bits needed in a local folder including dependencies.

Just a thought and the add it to the kudobuilder repo in a ‘tools’ or ‘extras’ folder

Op do 19 dec. 2019 om 17:52 schreef Michael Tanenbaum <mtane...@d2iq.com>

Michael Tanenbaum

Dec 20, 2019, 12:50:52 PM12/20/19
to Taco Scargo, Graham Hares, Ken Sipe, Nick Jones, kudobuilder
That would be a great help, no doubt. At the very least, I'll try to get documented steps to manually identify the requisite containers to move into an airgapped cluster.

Thanks!

Michael Tanenbaum

Dec 23, 2019, 2:25:21 PM12/23/19
to Taco Scargo, Graham Hares, Ken Sipe, Nick Jones, kudobuilder
Thanks to Taco, Ken, and Nick for pointing me in the right direction.

I wrote up a quick set of steps to demo deploying KUDO Cassandra without internet. https://gist.github.com/tbaums/2897bcdcbd914823d107df092d212c9e

Happy Holidays, all!