Arches and sig-buildsystem

Fabian Deutsch

May 2, 2024, 5:33:03 AMMay 2
to kubevirt-dev, Daniel Hiller, Brian Carey
Hey,

considering that sig-buildsystem must have the capability to build all our arches, and that we have x86_64 and arm, and s390x is in progress, I'm wondering if we should introduce a workinggroup per arch in oder to specify the stakeholders for those arches.

As a Ci owner I'm seeing failures on s390x, who owns to fix this?

Something like

wg-arm
wg-s390x
wg-x86_64

They must have members who own to keep the builds passing on those architectures, otherwise I don't see how our 80% x86_64 based contributors will be able to help with those other arches in the case of urgencies.

Greetings
- fabian

Daniel Hiller

May 3, 2024, 7:38:10 AMMay 3
to Fabian Deutsch, C A Fillekes, Jan Schintag, kubevirt-dev, Brian Carey, howard...@arm.com
Hey,

On Thu, May 2, 2024 at 11:33 AM Fabian Deutsch <fdeu...@redhat.com> wrote:
Hey,

considering that sig-buildsystem must have the capability to build all our arches, and that we have x86_64 and arm, and s390x is in progress, I'm wondering if we should introduce a workinggroup per arch in oder to specify the stakeholders for those arches.

+1 I think having a working group per arch is a great idea !

In Kubernetes working groups are time based and don't own any code, I think that our working group definition should either be different, or we might rather form sig-arch-* ? That might also help us defining OWNERS for sig specific things.

As a Ci owner I'm seeing failures on s390x, who owns to fix this?

Something like

wg-arm

Howard, do you have other folks that you would like to mention for arm

wg-s390x

@C A Fillekes @Jan Schintag @vamsikrishna-siddu

wg-x86_64

They must have members who own to keep the builds passing on those architectures, otherwise I don't see how our 80% x86_64 based contributors will be able to help with those other arches in the case of urgencies.

Members (plural) is a great idea, since I guess we all want to enjoy some time off, without other people stepping in this might leave us in a bad situation if things break.

Greetings
- fabian

Best,
Daniel

Howard Zhang

May 6, 2024, 4:17:29 AMMay 6
to Daniel Hiller, Fabian Deutsch, C A Fillekes, Jan Schintag, kubevirt-dev, Brian Carey

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for including me.

>Howard, do you have other folks that you would like to mention for arm.

At the moment, it's just me. If there are any other colleagues interested in KubeVirt in the future, I will include them in the group.

BR,

Howard

Jan Schintag

May 8, 2024, 11:46:46 AMMay 8
to Howard Zhang, Daniel Hiller, Fabian Deutsch, C A Fillekes, kubevirt-dev, Brian Carey
Hey,

I do not have any problem with this sort of structure.
I'm willing to own the s390x code and i would also volunteer Cheryl and Vamsi.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards

Jan Schintag

Redhat Partner Engineer
Container and Cloud technology on Linux on Z System Development
IBM Research & Development

Fabian Deutsch

May 14, 2024, 3:55:05 AMMay 14
to Jan Schintag, Howard Zhang, Daniel Hiller, C A Fillekes, kubevirt-dev, Brian Carey
Jan, Howard, Daniel,

thanks for following up.

Daniel, did you end up with a PR?

- fabian

Daniel Hiller

May 14, 2024, 6:48:12 AMMay 14
to Fabian Deutsch, Jan Schintag, Howard Zhang, C A Fillekes, kubevirt-dev, Brian Carey
Hey,

On Tue, May 14, 2024 at 9:55 AM Fabian Deutsch <fdeu...@redhat.com> wrote:
Jan, Howard, Daniel,

thanks for following up.

Daniel, did you end up with a PR?

I have it on my todo list. I need to read up a bit on how k8s are organizing wg's and then I'll create a PR for the arch wgs.

Best,
Daniel

Daniel Hiller

May 29, 2024, 9:33:05 AMMay 29
to Fabian Deutsch, Jan Schintag, Howard Zhang, C A Fillekes, kubevirt-dev, Brian Carey
Hey all,

On Tue, May 14, 2024 at 12:47 PM Daniel Hiller <dhi...@redhat.com> wrote:
Hey,

On Tue, May 14, 2024 at 9:55 AM Fabian Deutsch <fdeu...@redhat.com> wrote:
Jan, Howard, Daniel,

thanks for following up.

Daniel, did you end up with a PR?

I have it on my todo list. I need to read up a bit on how k8s are organizing wg's and then I'll create a PR for the arch wgs.

I have bootstrapped a PR to create the wgs for ARM and S390x [1
(needs some work on the charter documents though)

@Jan Schintag @Howard Zhang @C A Fillekes please chime in whether this works for you.

Best,
Daniel