[kubevirt-dev] Kubevirt's Macvtap network binding replacement

Alona Kaplan

Dec 24, 2023, 11:04:21 AM12/24/23
to kubevirt-dev
Hi All,

Following the introduction of Kubevirt Network Binding Plugin API [1] and of Macvtap network binding plugin [2], it's now possible to remove Macvtap network binding implementation from Kubevirt core.

We would like to propose replacing Kubevirt's implementation for Macvtap binding with the Macvtap network binding plugin.

The transition will be conducted in two phases across the next two releases:
Phase 1 (v1.2) - Kubevirt will raise a warning when the Macvtap interface is being used [3].
Phase 2 (v1.3) - Macvtap interface API will stop being supported by kubevirt (using the API will lead to no-op).
Similar to the proposed process to deprecate passt [4].

*In both phases running VMs should have no disruption.

Feel free to share your feedback.

Thanks,
Alona.

Edward Haas

May 22, 2024, 8:54:36 AMMay 22
to kubevirt-dev
Hello All,

The removal of the macvtap core binding has been completed [5] towards the Kubevirt v1.3 release.
This completes phase 2.

We are considering a phase 3 in which existing running VMs will break upon upgrade, allowing us to remove
all remaining references in the codebase.
We will update about this in the future.

[5] https://github.com/kubevirt/kubevirt/pull/11901

Best Regards,
Edy.