Discussion on potentially offensive term "black box"

瀏覽次數:63 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

Karthikeyan Govindaraj

未讀,
2021年1月13日 中午12:47:162021/1/13
收件者:Kubernetes WG Naming
Hi Folx,

Initiating a thread for discussing the potentially offensive term "black box". Meanwhile, IETF also kind of says `black box` is not an offensive word. (ref: https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-knodel-terminology-02.html#rfc.section.2.2). Let's start the discussion and arrive at a conclusion for this term.

Potential Offensive Term:
black box

Possible alternatives: [1]
Closed box
Opaque box
mystery box

Ref:

---
Many Thanks,
Karthik

Karthikeyan Govindaraj (he/him)
DevOps Architect | OSS Enthusiast | Blogger

[1] The possible alternatives are not limited to this list. Please add any additional terminologies as well while we discuss them.
[2] Hound search is only for Codebase, GitHub search included the issues, PRs, etc.

Jordan Liggitt

未讀,
2021年1月13日 下午1:41:552021/1/13
收件者:Karthikeyan Govindaraj、Kubernetes WG Naming
I don't see evidence the term is offensive, though we could recommend alternatives that would likely be clearer. New terms people are not familiar with are potentially confusing, and I don't think it's important to maintain the "box" terminology here.

Hoisting from my response on the earlier thread:

"Black box" is usually used in these contexts:
  • "Black box testing", in which tests only observe external behavior, and not the internal implementation. I'd suggest "behavioral testing" as an alternative here.
  • A system being a "black box", or unobservable. "Opaque" might be a better alternative here.

Karthikeyan Govindaraj

未讀,
2021年1月14日 下午3:32:592021/1/14
收件者:Jordan Liggitt、Kubernetes WG Naming
I agree with you on the part that it is not offensive. But I still went ahead with this because there are folks in the community who have moved away from this term either they thought as you mentioned it's unclear or 'potentially' offensive. So looking for an async consensus on this.

And yes in our context we don't need to maintain the `box` terminology.

I vote for removing this term as `confusing` and moving towards "behavioral testing". Looking forward to others' opinions.

Aaron Crickenberger

未讀,
2021年1月14日 下午4:35:492021/1/14
收件者:Karthikeyan Govindaraj、Jordan Liggitt、Kubernetes WG Naming
Agree with Jordan's suggestions.

One exemption I can think of is when referring to something outside our project that already has the term in its name, e.g. prometheus' blackbox prober/exporter (https://github.com/prometheus/blackbox_exporter) as we do in test-infra (ref: https://github.com/kubernetes/test-infra/search?q=blackbox)

- aaron

Karthikeyan Govindaraj

未讀,
2021年2月1日 下午5:05:332021/2/1
收件者:Aaron Crickenberger、Celeste Horgan、Jordan Liggitt、Kubernetes WG Naming
Ping to @Celeste Horgan to bring to the top of the inbox.

Karthikeyan Govindaraj

未讀,
2021年2月9日 上午11:03:462021/2/9
收件者:Aaron Crickenberger、Celeste Horgan、Jordan Liggitt、Kubernetes WG Naming
Hey Folx,

Do you think we can close this thread by agreeing on Jordan's recommendation?

Celeste Horgan

未讀,
2021年2月22日 下午1:27:452021/2/22
收件者:Kubernetes WG Naming