How to upgrade managed fluentd on GKE?

Yifeng Huang

Aug 29, 2018, 7:19:22 PM8/29/18
to Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
Hello,

We have a quick question about the managed fluentd that is installed on GKE clusters with logging enabled. This particular cluster was created a few months ago. The installed fluentd DaemonSet appears to use a stackdriver-logging-agent image from around April:

However, on GCR there are a number of images that are newer than this one. The latest is 0.4-1.5.35-1-k8s from Aug 16. The fluentd DaemonSet in our cluster does not appear to have been modified or updated since the cluster was created. Our question is whether it is possible to upgrade the fluentd DaemonSet to use a newer image tag, and how to do so. The documentation here suggests that we can't manually modify the DaemonSet through kubectl (it's "managed and supported through GKE") -- if so, we are somewhat surprised that the fluentd DaemonSet hasn't been upgraded without our intervention.

For context: the reason we are interested in upgrading fluentd is that we are experiencing segfaults in the fluent-plugin-google-cloud when exporting to Stackdriver. We noticed several somewhat-related issues being fixed in ruby-grpc and ruby-protobuf in the meantime, so we would like to try out a newer fluentd image to see if that resolves the issue.

Thanks for your help!

- Yifeng

Agrawal, Punit

Aug 29, 2018, 7:30:03 PM8/29/18
to kubernet...@googlegroups.com

You can run your own but you need to maintain it on your end to make sure everything works.
Do not try to make modifications to the existing daemonset because they will be overwritten because of the annotation

addonmanager.kubernetes.io/mode: Reconcile

on the daemonset. You can follow the documentation to disable stackdriver

gcloud beta container clusters update --logging-service=none CLUSTER

punit agrawal

dev-ops lead

new product development

ebay