steps to migrate Docker image to use kubernetes

paperless

Sep 19, 2017, 10:57:56 AM9/19/17
to Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A

I have developed a simple Docker image. This can be run using command

docker run -e VOLUMEDIR=agentsvolume -v /c/Users/abcd/config:/agentsvolume app-agent

Same thing if I want to run using kubernetes, can someone guide me what are the steps to do it? Do I must create Pods/ Controller or service.. am not able to get clear steps to run using Kubernetes?

If I run anything using kuberctl i get following error:

$ kubectl get pods

error: group map[extensions:0xc0823b44d0 policy:0xc0823b4540 federation:0xc08230f9d0 :0xc08230fea0 apps:0xc08230ff10 batch:0xc0823b4310 certificates.k8s.io:0xc0823b4380 componentconfig:0xc0823b43f0 authentication.k8s.io:0xc08230ff80 authorization.k8s.io:0xc0823b40e0 autoscaling:0xc0823b4150 rbac.authorization.k8s.io:0xc0823b45b0 storage.k8s.io:0xc0823b4620] is already registered

Rodrigo Campos

Sep 19, 2017, 11:41:37 AM9/19/17
to kubernet...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 07:57:55AM -0700, paperless wrote:

> I have developed a simple Docker image. This can be run using command
>
> docker run -e VOLUMEDIR=agentsvolume -v /c/Users/abcd/config:/agentsvolume app-agent
>
> Same thing if I want to run using kubernetes, can someone guide me what are
> the steps to do it? Do I must create Pods/ Controller or service.. am not
> able to get clear steps to run using Kubernetes?

Have you take a look to deployments? Just use that with the docker image from a
docker registry.

Not sure what your volume is. Is this how you want this to run on production?

> If I run anything using kuberctl i get following error:
>

> $ kubectl get pods
>
> error: group map[extensions:0xc0823b44d0 policy:0xc0823b4540
> federation:0xc08230f9d0 :0xc08230fea0 apps:0xc08230ff10 batch:0xc0823b4310
> certificates.k8s.io:0xc0823b4380 componentconfig:0xc0823b43f0
> authentication.k8s.io:0xc08230ff80 authorization.k8s.io:0xc0823b40e0
> autoscaling:0xc0823b4150 rbac.authorization.k8s.io:0xc0823b45b0
> storage.k8s.io:0xc0823b4620] is already registered

I've seen this some time. IIRC you are using quite different kubectl and
kubernetes server versions, or something like that

paperless

Sep 19, 2017, 12:06:09 PM9/19/17
to Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
This is not production. This is just local image. Trying to learn basics.

This is my kubernetes config file

apiVersion: apps/v1beta1
kind: Deployment
metadata:
  name: agent-kuber
spec:
  replicas: 1
  template:
    metadata:
      labels:
        run: agentc
    spec:
      containers:
      - name: agentk
        image: agentc
        env:
- name: VOLUMEDIR
          value: "agentsvolume"
        volumeMounts:
        - name: /agentsvolume
          mountPath: /c/Users/abcd/config:/agentsvolume
  volumes:
  - name: agentsvolume
    emptyDir: {}

Is the deployment configuration now equivalent?

Tim Hockin

Sep 19, 2017, 12:24:43 PM9/19/17
to Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
Your volume config is not valid. What you need depends on whether you
want your volume to literally map `/c/Users/abcd/config` (which you
manage out of band, kubernetes won't touch) into your container or
whether you want just "an empty directory".

The literal equivalent would be more like:

```
apiVersion: apps/v1beta1
kind: Deployment
metadata:
name: agent-kuber
spec:
replicas: 1 # optional, defaults to 1
template:
metadata:
labels:
run: agentc
spec:
containers:
- name: app-agent
image: app-agent
env:
- name: VOLUMEDIR
value: agentsvolume
volumeMounts:
- name: config
mountPath: /agentsvolume
volumes:
- name: config
hostPath:
path: /c/Users/abcd/config
```

Shashank Dutt Jha

Sep 20, 2017, 2:17:22 AM9/20/17
to kubernet...@googlegroups.com
currently I run the same image using docker-compose with following configuration. Which works.

Same volume information needs to be passed to when I run uring kubernetes

version: '2'
services:
  app-agentc:
    image: app-agentc
    env_file:
      - a.env
    volumes:
      - /c/Users/abc/config:/agentsvolume
volumes:
  agentsvolume:

Shashank Dutt Jha

Sep 20, 2017, 4:55:04 AM9/20/17
to kubernet...@googlegroups.com
Now I get following error: following your suggestion

$ kubectl apply -f kuber-agent.yml
error: error validating "kuber-agent.yml": error validating data: found invalid field volumes for v1beta1.DeploymentSpec; if you choose to ignore these errors, turn validation off with --validate=false

kuber-agent.yml

apiVersion: apps/v1beta1
kind: Deployment
metadata:
  name: agent-kuber
spec:
  replicas: 1
  template:
    metadata:
      labels:
        run: agentc
    spec:
      containers:
      - name: agentk
        image: library/app-agentk:v1
        env:
        - name: VOLUMEDIR
          value: agentsvolume
        volumeMounts:
        - name: config
          mountPath: /agentsvolume
  volumes:
  - name: config
    hostPath:
     path:/c/Users/abc/config

Shashank Dutt Jha

Sep 20, 2017, 5:33:44 AM9/20/17
to kubernet...@googlegroups.com
I get this error now:

$ kubectl apply -f kuber-agent.yml
error: error validating "kuber-agent.yml": error validating data: found invalid field path for v1.Volume; if you choose to ignore these errors, turn validation off with --validate=false

apiVersion: apps/v1beta1
kind: Deployment
metadata:
  name: agent-kuber
spec:
  replicas: 1
  template:
    metadata:
      labels:
        run: agentc
    spec:
      containers:
      - name: agentk
        image: library/app-agentk:v1
        env:
        - name: VOLUMEDIR
          value: /agentsvolume
        volumeMounts:
        - name: config
          mountPath: /c/Users/abc/config
      volumes:
       - name: config
         hostPath:
         path: agentsvolume

Shashank Dutt Jha

Sep 20, 2017, 8:26:18 AM9/20/17
to kubernet...@googlegroups.com

$ kubectl apply -f kuber-agent.yml
The Deployment "agent-kuber" is invalid:
* spec.template.spec.volumes[0].hostPath: Forbidden: may not specify more than 1 volume type
* spec.template.spec.volumes[0].persistentVolumeClaim: Forbidden: may not specify more than 1 volume type
* spec.template.spec.containers[0].volumeMounts[0].name: Not found: "config"

Now my config file is as:
linux style file system is accesible from Docker Tool environment

metadata:
  name: agent-kuber
spec:
  replicas: 1
  template:
    metadata:
      labels:
        run: agentc
    spec:
      containers:
      - name: agentk
        image: library/app-agentk:v1
        env:
        - name: VOLUMEDIR
          value: /agentsvolume
        volumeMounts:
        - name: config
          mountPath: /usr/share/applications/config
      volumes:
       - name: config
         hostPath:
          path: agentsvolume
         persistentVolumeClaim:
          claimName: logs-nfs

Tim Hockin

Sep 20, 2017, 2:31:02 PM9/20/17
to Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 5:25 AM, Shashank Dutt Jha
<shash...@gmail.com> wrote:

> $ kubectl apply -f kuber-agent.yml
> The Deployment "agent-kuber" is invalid:
> * spec.template.spec.volumes[0].hostPath: Forbidden: may not specify more
> than 1 volume type

You have more than one source listed in a volume block
You need a new `- name: something` line to start a new array item.
YAML is funky. When in doubt, convert to JSON and it will be clearer.

Shashank Dutt Jha

Sep 21, 2017, 5:30:12 AM9/21/17
to kubernet...@googlegroups.com
Following error in logs
starting the app
/agentcompose_agentsvolume/config.yml

IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/agentcompose_agentsvolume/config.yml'

/agentcompose_agentsvolume is not replaced by path /usr/share/applications/config
if I do ls /usr/share/applications/config I can see the config.yml there

apiVersion: apps/v1beta1
kind: Deployment
metadata:
  name: agent-kuber
spec:
  replicas: 1
  template:
    metadata:
      labels:
        run: agentc
    spec:
      containers:
      - name: agentk
        image: library/app-agentk:v1
        env:
        - name: VOLUMEDIR
          value: /agentcompose_agentsvolume
        volumeMounts:
        - name: config
          mountPath: /usr/share/applications/config
      volumes:
       - name: config
         hostPath:
          path: agentcompose_agentsvolume

Shashank Dutt Jha

Sep 21, 2017, 5:36:35 AM9/21/17
to kubernet...@googlegroups.com
I get following error

"agentk" in pod "agent-kuber-1396289937-7cbnp" is waiting to start: rpc error: code = 2 desc = Error response from daemon: {"message":"Invalid bind mount spec \"/usr/share/applications/config:agentcompose_agentsvolume\": Invalid volume destination path: 'agentcompose_agentsvolume' mount path must be absolute."}

For this configuration

apiVersion: apps/v1beta1
kind: Deployment
metadata:
  name: agent-kuber
spec:
  replicas: 1
  template:
    metadata:
      labels:
        run: agentc
    spec:
      containers:
      - name: agentk
        image: library/app-agentk:v1
        env:
        - name: VOLUMEDIR
          value: /agentcompose_agentsvolume
        volumeMounts:
        - name: config
          mountPath: agentcompose_agentsvolume
      volumes:
       - name: config
         hostPath:
          path: /usr/share/applications/config

Rodrigo Campos

Sep 21, 2017, 9:37:03 AM9/21/17
to kubernet...@googlegroups.com
And if you fix what the error suggest and use an absolute path?

Tim Hockin

Sep 21, 2017, 11:29:10 AM9/21/17
to Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
I strongly urge you to look at the docs for pods and volumes.

spec.containers[].volumeMounts[].mountPath is a path within your
container, where you want that volume attached.

>>> --

Shashank Dutt Jha

Sep 22, 2017, 5:36:25 AM9/22/17
to kubernet...@googlegroups.com
Following is what I use in docker-compose and it works
    volumes:
      - /c/Users/abc/config:/agentsvolume

I use when run Docker command directly to run the image
    docker run -v /home/blockchain/agentsconfig:/agentsvolume app-agent

agentsvolume is a volume that i have created using docker create volume command and name is agentsvolume

I have a config file stored at the c/Users/abc/config:/agentsvolume or  /home/blockchain/agentsconfig which gets copied into volume that i have created and same is used inside Dockerfile

Similar I want to use
  -v /home/blockchain/agentsconfig:/agentsvolume

actual host is name and value is mount point.

from error looks like able to do it

"agentk" in pod "agent-kuber-1396289937-7cbnp" is waiting to start: rpc error: code = 2 desc = Error response from daemon: {"message":"Invalid bind mount spec \"/usr/share/applications/config:agentcompose_agentsvolume\": Invalid volume destination path: 'agentcompose_agentsvolume' mount path must be absolute."}

/usr/share/applications/config:agentcompose_agentsvolume

>>> --

Rodrigo Campos

Sep 22, 2017, 9:24:13 AM9/22/17
to kubernet...@googlegroups.com
Yes, exactly the same as in the las post, right? Have you read mine and Tom recommendations? Please do

Tim Hockin

Sep 22, 2017, 1:05:26 PM9/22/17
to Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
Let's be really clear.

`c/Users/abc/config:/agentsvolume` is docker syntax for "make host
path '/c/Users/abc/config' available on container path
'/agentsvolume". You can absolutely represent that in Kubernetes, but
it's more decoupled (because the volume API is more flexible in Kube).
You HAVE TO separate the definition of the volume (volume hostPath
/c/Users/abc/config) from the attachment of that volume (volumeMount
/agentsvolume).