Best way to back-up and replicate GKE cluster in different region

parthi.geo

Aug 8, 2018, 6:41:21 PM8/8/18
to Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
Pointers on tools & best practices to back-up and replicate a running GKE cluster in a different region in a consistent fashion.

Considering GKE is a managed service i.e control plane availability is managed by GCP, what better options are available to snapshot & replicate a cluster. Kubectl export option to dump all yaml is one way. But this demands lot of oversight.

Regards
Parthiban,S

Timo Reimann

Aug 9, 2018, 12:16:25 PM8/9/18
to Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
Heptio's Ark is a disaster recovery tool which covers this use case by leveraging Kubernetes APIs only. See the docs at https://github.com/heptio/ark for details.

Chaitanya Potu

Sep 6, 2018, 3:41:54 PM9/6/18
to Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
I'm using Heptio ARK on GKE for cluster back up and restores. We can set the scheduling for backup and restore as well as retention period. The tool is very effective.