Exemption request for "winkernel proxier cache HNS data to improve syncProxyRules performance #109124" in 1.24

Mark Rossetti

Apr 6, 2022, 3:08:51 PM4/6/22
to kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com, releas...@kubernetes.io, kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com, David Schott

Hi Release team,

I am filing an exception to include the following bugfix PR in the 1.24 release.

SIG: Windows

PR #’s: https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/pull/109124

Additional time needed (in days): none – PR has been reviewed and tested

Reason this bugfix is critical for this milestone:

On Windows nodes it takes a long time (2-3 hours at times) for proxy rules to sync when new Windows nodes are added to a cluster when there is a large number of services and pods in a cluster.

This causes service connectivity issues until proxy rules are fully synced.
This issue has been reported by end-users and we would like to provide a solution in 1.24 and previous releases with as little delay as possible.

These changes are in windows-specific code and have shown a drastic reduction in the time it takes proxy rules to sync.

On Windows Server 2022, the time to sync proxy rules for 2000 ClusterIP services was reduced from 192 to 10 mins.

With additional OS patches (pending release through Windows Updates) this time has shown to be further reduced down to 1 minute.

Thanks!

--Mark Rossetti

James Laverack

Apr 8, 2022, 8:36:17 AM4/8/22
to Mark Rossetti, kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com, releas...@kubernetes.io, kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com, David Schott
Hi Mark,

Following discussion in Slack the release team is REJECTING this exception request. This is on the basis of risk to the release, and main branch stability as we approach our scheduled release date. Our intention is that this bug fix can land in the 1.24.1 release.

If you have any questions, please reach out to us in the #sig-release Slack channel.

Thanks,
James Laverack,
1.24 Release Team Lead

Mark Rossetti

Apr 8, 2022, 11:52:37 AM4/8/22
to James Laverack, kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com, releas...@kubernetes.io, kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com, David Schott

HI James,

Thank you and no worries!

We’ll work to get this in in the next set of patch releases for all of the supported minor releases (including 1.24.1).

--Mark (on behalf of SIG-Windows)