Survey questions follow up

Gaby Moreno

Sep 30, 2019, 10:26:03 PM9/30/19
to kubernetes-sig-usability

Hey all,

Thank you to those that contributed questions to our questions doc! I’ve gone ahead and reviewed those questions, along with the previous surveys for awareness (Kubernetes Application Survey, Dashboard UX Survey, CNCF Cloud Native Survey) and came up with some next steps. Let me know what you think.

Recap

It looks like we have some high level questions on what is the journey of the new user, what are they trying to achieve, where are they falling off in their journey, and in general who our personas are.

We also have some specific questions on end users’ background with containers, expertise with Kubernetes, learning process, experience with documentation, language preferences, and involvement with local and  online communities.

Recommendation

I get the sense that we could answer some of these questions with a jobs-to-be-done approach, which would involve qualitative interviews to break down the “job” end users are trying to achieve (ex: deploy, scale and manage containerized applications). We might use our more specific questions as part of screeners and interview guides. We would use the interviews to inform a need statements survey which has end users rate "desired outcomes" on two scales, importance and satisfaction. This is calculated into an opportunity score thereby giving us statistically significant areas we can focus on improving. Instead of personas, a jobs-to-be-done approach does segmentation based on the need statements.

The end result usually looks something like this:

That being said, I’m wondering what people think about the feasibility and value of such an approach and if any of the members of this SIG have experience with this process.

Best,

Gaby

Boaz Gurdin

Oct 1, 2019, 8:12:54 PM10/1/19
to Gaby Moreno, kubernetes-sig-usability
Here are the potential survey questions I shared on the call today:

- Boaz

Spencer Sugarman

Oct 2, 2019, 1:53:20 AM10/2/19
to Boaz Gurdin, Gaby Moreno, kubernetes-sig-usability
Sorry I was not able to make the call today to share the work Dan Romlein and I did for SIG-UI. Internet issues, if you can believe it.

This Kubernetes Dashboard issue has links to our Kubecon presentation of the survey findings, and also to the full report of questions and responses. The aim of that survey was pretty different than what we have discussed for the SIG-Usability survey, but it points to some use cases that users are trying to accomplish with the Kubernetes Dashboard today.

Tasha Drew

Oct 2, 2019, 3:56:43 PM10/2/19
to Spencer Sugarman, Boaz Gurdin, Gaby Moreno, kubernetes-sig-usability
Thanks for sharing, Boaz & Spencer.

We had discussed on the call getting together to pull together a jobs to be done proposal. Gabby/Boaz/I were interested in working on that together offline before our next call. Would anyone else like to be included? We're going to hop on a zoom.

Thanks, Tasha

Gaby Moreno

Oct 3, 2019, 2:15:14 PM10/3/19
to Tasha Drew, Spencer Sugarman, Boaz Gurdin, kubernetes-sig-usability
As far as meeting, would sometime early next week work for those interested?

Spencer Sugarman

Oct 3, 2019, 2:45:45 PM10/3/19
to Gaby Moreno, Tasha Drew, Boaz Gurdin, kubernetes-sig-usability
A Zoom meeting early next week works for me.

Gaby Moreno

Oct 3, 2019, 3:17:12 PM10/3/19
to Tasha Drew, kubernetes-sig-usability, Boaz Gurdin
Works for me.

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 2:10 PM Tasha Drew <tasha...@gmail.com> wrote:
How about 9am Monday (pacific time)?

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 11:48 AM Boaz Gurdin <bgu...@vmware.com> wrote:
Monday afternoon and Tuesday morning work for me; I can't make it Tuesday afternoon or Wednesday.

Boaz Gurdin | VMware UX Research | bgu...@vmware.com

Oct 4, 2019, 5:13:28 PM10/4/19
to Gaby Moreno, Spencer Sugarman, Boaz Gurdin, kubernetes-sig-usability
Hi all,

We're going to meet as a group to discuss setting up a "jobs to be done" study of Kubernetes users. If you'd like to join, it's Monday, 1:30-2:30pm Pacific time. Ping me and I'll add you to the meeting invite if you'd like to attend. Either way, it's intended to be a small working session, and we'll present on what we work on to the larger group at our next regular meeting.

Gaby Moreno

Oct 7, 2019, 2:00:22 PM10/7/19
to Tasha Drew, Spencer Sugarman, Boaz Gurdin, kubernetes-sig-usability

Thanks for organizing, Tasha! Looking forward to it.

Wanted to share this option ahead of time since we are just kicking this off.

We’ve worked with a firm specializing in jobs to be done before called Strategyn. They do great work and have expressed interest in the past in doing some kind of engagement in the open source space, whether this is in the form of a workshop at a community event like KubeCon or a remote type of engagement. Their info is attached in case people are interested in budgeting for something like this.

Strategyn JTBD + ODI Briefing.pdf