SIG Testing Chair Succession Updates

Benjamin Elder

Mar 9, 2023, 3:01:18 PM3/9/23
to kubernetes-sig-testing
Hi all,

I've had the honor of serving as SIG Testing Chair for approximately three years now.

Since then I've taken on many additional responsibilities in the project, changed roles at work, and my focus has shifted a bit. I don't think I'm dedicating enough time to chairing at the moment and I also firmly believe in the importance of promoting new leaders regularly for the health of the project.

In my tenure we've split the Chair / TL role and I've brought on one new Chair (Michelle Shepardson) and two new TLs (Antonio Ojea and Patrick Ohly).

I'm happy to announce that we've had success working with additional chair candidates and that I'm stepping down and nominating Brian McQueen (github: xmqueen, slack: @mcqueen) as my replacement. I was actually one of Brian's Kubernetes org membership sponsors not too long ago and I can say that he has been a great help to SIG Testing, Node, and Infra to say the least. I'm confident that he will make an excellent SIG-Chair.

I want to thank Michelle for working especially closely with everyone who responded to our call for chairs and everyone who responded there.

Additionally, I've spoken to Aaron Crickenberger ("spiffxp")  who has had been on extended leave. Aaron has agreed to step down, so Brian will replace both of us.

I cannot possibly thank Aaron enough for all he has contributed to SIG Testing / Kubernetes and for being a great friend and mentor.

Hopefully we'll have more announcements soon. In the meantime I'm available to answer any questions or concerns (benth...@google.com, b...@elder.dev, or @bentheelder in kubernetes slack).

Thanks,
Ben

Davanum Srinivas

Mar 9, 2023, 3:06:35 PM3/9/23
to Benjamin Elder, kubernetes-sig-testing
Thanks Ben, Aaron! +1 to Brian.

Sergey Kanzhelev

Mar 9, 2023, 3:08:43 PM3/9/23
to Davanum Srinivas, Benjamin Elder, kubernetes-sig-testing
Congrats Brian!

Thank you Ben and Aaron!

Chao Dai

Mar 9, 2023, 3:48:11 PM3/9/23
to Sergey Kanzhelev, Davanum Srinivas, Benjamin Elder, kubernetes-sig-testing

Antonio Ojea

Mar 9, 2023, 4:06:57 PM3/9/23
to Chao Dai, Sergey Kanzhelev, Davanum Srinivas, Benjamin Elder, kubernetes-sig-testing
Thanks Ben and Aaron, I'm personally very thankful to both of you for a lot of motives, it is sad to see you stepping down.

+1 on Brian, he has been very active and helpful on the SIG

Cole Wagner

Mar 9, 2023, 7:23:55 PM3/9/23
to Antonio Ojea, Chao Dai, Sergey Kanzhelev, Davanum Srinivas, Benjamin Elder, kubernetes-sig-testing
Thanks so much for all you've contributed to SIG-Testing Ben and Aaron!
Congrats Brian!

Benjamin Elder

Mar 27, 2023, 7:13:00 PM3/27/23
to Cole Wagner, dev, Antonio Ojea, Chao Dai, Sergey Kanzhelev, Davanum Srinivas, kubernetes-sig-testing
+dev

I'll enact this soon -- lazy consensus ended in the middle of monitoring the k8s.gcr.io redirect and I forgot to include d...@kubernetes.io so we'll wait a little longer
per https://github.com/kubernetes/community/blob/fdfa9acd58e7e8b3c3d679dc4803e1b356ef981a/contributors/chairs-and-techleads/leadership-changes.md

Answering one common question: No, I'm not spending any less time on Kubernetes, just more time on other parts of the project (like k8s-infra).
I'm still working ~120% time on Kubernetes upstream :-)

Thanks all!

Benjamin Elder

Apr 3, 2023, 1:41:42 PM4/3/23
to Cole Wagner, dev, Antonio Ojea, Chao Dai, Sergey Kanzhelev, Davanum Srinivas, kubernetes-sig-testing
With a week of lazy consensus passing on dev@, I'll start PRs today, tracking issue at https://github.com/kubernetes/community/issues/7239