vSphere CSI migration status

Michelle Au

Mar 2, 2023, 7:25:29 PM3/2/23
to kubernetes-sig-storage, kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com, kubernetes-sig...@googlegroups.com

Hi folks,

One of the graduation criteria for CSI migration GA is feature parity at the same stability levels as the in-tree feature. When we promoted vSphere migration to GA, a few features, such as Windows and raw block were considered alpha in the vSphere CSI driver. An exception for this criteria was permitted with the understanding that the upcoming release of the CSI driver would GA these features.

However, the release of the CSI driver that GAs these features is scheduled for mid-March, 3 months after 1.26.0 was released. This means 1.26 vSphere users are forced to use unsupported configurations and enable CSI migration with alpha-level support on an older CSI driver. This means the graduation criteria for vSphere CSI migration GA was not met for 1.26.

I propose that we unlock the CSIMigrationvSphere feature gate in the next 1.26.x patch release, and delay the feature gate lock to 1.27 on the condition that these gaps are addressed in a released CSI driver available 1 week before the 1.27.0 release. This also has the effect that the vSphere cloud provider removal would be delayed for an additional release to 1.29. This ensures vSphere users do not have to move away from GA supported configurations for these features as part of upgrading to 1.26.

Let me know your thoughts on this plan. I would like to come to an agreement by EOD Monday, March 6, 2023.

Thanks,

Michelle

Saad Ali

Mar 3, 2023, 3:11:13 AM3/3/23
to Michelle Au, kubernetes-sig-storage, kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com, kubernetes-sig...@googlegroups.com
Seems reasonable to me. Xing, what do you think?

Xing Yang

Mar 3, 2023, 9:34:13 AM3/3/23
to Saad Ali, Michelle Au, kubernetes-sig-storage, kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com, kubernetes-sig...@googlegroups.com, Divyen Patel
Yes, this sounds good to me.