Precursors of K8s storage framework and API?

Matteo Olivi

Nov 26, 2023, 11:43:12 AM11/26/23
to kubernetes-sig-storage
Hello,
I was wondering whether the K8s storage framework and API (i.e. Storage classes, PVCs, PVs, etc...) has been designed from scratch, or if instead it was inspired by prior work (either in industry or academia).

In the latter case, what were the predecessors? Are there scientific papers/blog posts about them?

Thanks,
Matteo.

Ben Swartzlander

Nov 26, 2023, 10:22:30 PM11/26/23
to kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com
The current storage APIs evolved organically. Originally the system only
supported statically provisioned volumes, and dynamic provisioning was
added later. CSI was added after that. Knowing what we know now, we
probably would have designed things a bit differently if we got a chance
to do it over.

A large number of people have contributed to SIG storage over the years
and they all bring their own experiences. I don't believe there was ever
an intention to directly copy another API or implement a design from any
papers, but certainly many of the contributors have worked on other
systems and brought lessons to the design process of what works and what
doesn't work.