Requesting exception for SELinux volume relabeling using mounts

Jan Šafránek

Aug 3, 2022, 6:33:37 AM8/3/22
to kubernetes-sig-storage, releas...@kubernetes.io, kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com, Saad Ali, Xing Yang, Michelle Au
  • Enhancement name: Speed up SELinux volume relabeling using mounts
  • Enhancement status (alpha/beta/stable): Alpha
  • SIG: sig-storage
  • k/enhancements repo issue #1710:
  • PR #’s: 108744, 108692
  • Additional time needed (in days): 2
    • 108744 needs to be merged (it has all approvals)
    • 108692 needs to be rebased on top of it (chasing approvals right now, it already had lgtm few days ago)
    • 2 days should be more than enough.
  • Reason this enhancement is critical for this milestone:
    • We got API approval ~1 hour after the feature freeze.
    • Speeding up volume relabelign for SELinux prevents our users from using SELinux with large volumes. There are vendor specific workarounds, but they're very container-runtime specific and we want some unification in this enhancement. Merging the code would allow us to test current MVP implementation with multiple Kubernetes users.
  • Risks from adding code late: (to k8s stability, testing, etc.)
    • I don't see any new risk that would arise with a later merge. There are feature gate checks everywhere.
  • Risks from cutting enhancement: (partial implementation, critical customer usecase, etc.)
    • No risks apart from customers using workaround for one more release.

Jan Šafránek

Aug 3, 2022, 6:38:40 AM8/3/22
to kubernetes-sig-storage, releas...@kubernetes.io, kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com, Saad Ali, Xing Yang, Michelle Au
Correction: the second PR will have all approvals when the commits with the API are removed, so 1 day should be more than enough.

Xing Yang

Aug 3, 2022, 9:26:16 AM8/3/22
to Jan Šafránek, kubernetes-sig-storage, releas...@kubernetes.io, kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com, Saad Ali, Michelle Au
+1

Jan Šafránek

Aug 4, 2022, 1:41:22 PM8/4/22
to Cici Huang, release-team, Xing Yang, kubernetes-sig-storage, kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com, Saad Ali, Michelle Au
Thanks a lot, the code is now merged.

Jan

On Wed, Aug 3, 2022 at 7:03 PM Cici Huang <ci...@google.com> wrote:
Hi all,

Following discussion in Slack the release team is APPROVING this exception request. Your updated deadline to make any changes to your PR is 3:30 AM PST Friday 5th August 2022, which is two working days from the exception filed.

If you have any questions, please reach out to us in the #sig-release Slack channel.

Thanks,
Cici Huang,
1.25 Release Team Lead