Query on project release tags

Bharath B

Jun 12, 2024, 10:32:26 AMJun 12
to kubernetes-sig-storage
Hi All,

Recently [1], [2] and [3] PRs got merged in `gcp-compute-persistent-disk-csi-driver` and `gcp-filestore-csi-driver` projects and I had a query on when these commits will be part of a release tag.

PR [3] which was merged on April 15th was not part of the recent tag created for v1.6.15 release, which had a commit merged on April 20th.

I was wondering do we need create any request for including the commits in a release and to get release tag created. Does releases follow any timeline or could we make a quick request for a release tag.

Thanks in advance,
Bharath B

Saad Ali

Jun 13, 2024, 1:32:28 PMJun 13
to Bharath B, Matthew Cary, kubernetes-sig-storage
@Matthew Cary can you help with Bharath's question?

Matthew Cary

Jun 14, 2024, 7:03:40 PMJun 14
to Saad Ali, Bharath B, kubernetes-sig-storage
Hi Bharath,

v1.6.15 was created from the release-1.6 branch, it looks like [3] was submitted to master. We have the same model as k8s, where new changes to master aren't released until a new minor (ie, 1.7) is cut.

We cut a new minor when there are "significant" changes, which is admittedly subjective and hard to predict.

If your PRs are for minor features, then the easiest thing to do would be to backport them to the most recent minor. You can use github's automatic cherry-pick, by putting /cherry-pick release-1.6 in to the comment thread on your merged PR. That will automatically create the backport PR which is approved in the normal process. Then it will get in the next patch release which should be a few weeks (as there probably will be CVEs to fix).

I'm not sure offhand of the scope of your features and if they're appropriate to backport, I'd reach out to whoever approved your PRs.

Bharath B

Jun 14, 2024, 7:03:44 PMJun 14
to Matthew Cary, Saad Ali, kubernetes-sig-storage
Hi Matthew,

Thank you so much for the detailed response.

Regards,
Bharath B