Re: WG Naming Dissolution

Stephen Augustus

Jul 12, 2021, 6:59:35 PM7/12/21
to Josh Berkus, kubernetes-sig-contribex, kubernetes-sig-docs, kubernetes-sig-architecture, steering, kubernetes-sig-release
I think it's reasonable for Release Managers (SIG Release / RelEng) to take this one, since we'll want to coordinate around lulls in the release cycle.

-- Stephen

On Mon, Jul 12, 2021, 18:48 Josh Berkus <jbe...@redhat.com> wrote:
On 7/12/21 3:16 PM, Stephen Augustus wrote:
> #
>
> A timeline on which to replace component names in the
> kubernetes/kubernetes codebase:
>
>  1.
>
>     While developing the recommendations workflow
>     <https://github.com/kubernetes/community/blob/master/wg-naming/workflow.md#implementation>,
>     it was decided that once a recommendation was accepted and recorded,
>     areas in scope would become responsible for implementation.

Who should own renaming the master branch in K/K?  Infra WG?

--
-- Josh Berkus
    Kubernetes Community Architect

Aaron Crickenberger

Jul 12, 2021, 8:21:31 PM7/12/21
to Stephen Augustus, Josh Berkus, kubernetes-sig-contribex, kubernetes-sig-docs, kubernetes-sig-architecture, steering, kubernetes-sig-release
Honestly, anyone who is interested in renaming kubernetes/kubernetes' branch, and all of the artifacts, scripts, and configuration changes that fall out from that... should start writing that plan now.  It would be wise to give downstream consumers sufficient notice, or give them a system that ensures they don't have to change anything if they don't want to.  Were this to be a KEP, it's not the sort of thing I'd want to see sliding in just under the enhancements freeze deadline.

And I agree, this feels more like SIG Release, and not covered by WG K8s Infra's mandate of "migrate/setup project infrastructure out of the google.com GCP organization"

- aaron

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "kubernetes-sig-architecture" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/kubernetes-sig-architecture/CAOqU-DQ4GqRf-6rgCVjfyw%2B1mQOW%3Dyafqztp3j_142_tevJ-Ow%40mail.gmail.com.

Carlos Tadeu Panato Jr

Jul 13, 2021, 10:00:06 AM7/13/21
to Aaron Crickenberger, Stephen Augustus, Josh Berkus, kubernetes-sig-contribex, kubernetes-sig-docs, kubernetes-sig-architecture, steering, kubernetes-sig-release
I can help to organize the work and the implementation

Will create an issue and plan that best timeframe to do that

Michael Taufen

Jul 13, 2021, 12:38:00 PM7/13/21
to Carlos Tadeu Panato Jr, Aaron Crickenberger, Stephen Augustus, Josh Berkus, kubernetes-sig-contribex, kubernetes-sig-docs, kubernetes-sig-architecture, steering, kubernetes-sig-release
> Honestly, anyone who is interested in renaming kubernetes/kubernetes' branch, and all of the artifacts, scripts, and configuration changes that fall out from that... should start writing that plan now.  It would be wise to give downstream consumers sufficient notice, or give them a system that ensures they don't have to change anything if they don't want to.  Were this to be a KEP, it's not the sort of thing I'd want to see sliding in just under the enhancements freeze deadline.

Is there a reason this shouldn't be a KEP? Seems like a good idea to review that plan in the KEP format?

On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 7:00 AM Carlos Tadeu Panato Jr <cta...@gmail.com> wrote:
I can help to organize the work and the implementation

Will create an issue and plan that best timeframe to do that

Michael Taufen
Google SWE

Josh Berkus

Jul 13, 2021, 12:54:44 PM7/13/21
to Michael Taufen, Carlos Tadeu Panato Jr, Aaron Crickenberger, Stephen Augustus, kubernetes-sig-contribex, kubernetes-sig-docs, kubernetes-sig-architecture, steering, kubernetes-sig-release
On 7/13/21 9:37 AM, Michael Taufen wrote:
> > Honestly, anyone who is interested in renaming kubernetes/kubernetes'
> branch, and all of the artifacts, scripts, and configuration changes
> that fall out from that... should start writing that plan now.  It would
> be wise to give downstream consumers sufficient notice, or give them a
> system that ensures they don't have to change anything if they don't
> want to.  Were this to be a KEP, it's not the sort of thing I'd want to
> see sliding in just under the enhancements freeze deadline.
>
> Is there a reason this /shouldn't/ be a KEP? Seems like a good idea to
> review that plan in the KEP format?

+1. And a well-publicized one at that ... we won't know everything a
rename affects until we broadcast the upcoming change. I'd expect the
rename to take over a year.

This is why I have some doubt that it's something we're going to do if
WG Naming dissolves. Maybe that's OK, but I don't feel like it's a call
I can personally make.

Celeste Horgan

Jul 26, 2021, 2:09:17 PM7/26/21
to Stephen Augustus, Josh Berkus, kubernetes-sig-contribex, kubernetes-sig-docs, kubernetes-sig-architecture, steering, kubernetes-sig-release
Hi all,

Do you need anything else from Stephen or myself to move this forward?

Cheers,
Celeste Horgan

On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 3:59 PM Stephen Augustus <k...@auggie.dev> wrote:
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "kubernetes-sig-docs" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/kubernetes-sig-docs/CAOqU-DQ4GqRf-6rgCVjfyw%2B1mQOW%3Dyafqztp3j_142_tevJ-Ow%40mail.gmail.com.

--
---
Celeste Horgan

Jordan Liggitt

Aug 2, 2021, 11:47:34 AM8/2/21
to Celeste Horgan, Stephen Augustus, Josh Berkus, kubernetes-sig-contribex, kubernetes-sig-docs, kubernetes-sig-architecture, steering, kubernetes-sig-release
Apologies for the slow response... I've added this to the agenda for today's steering meeting, will circle back this afternoon

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "kubernetes-sig-architecture" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/kubernetes-sig-architecture/CAEeQiMXNj%3DQOiKFx_H315zep-ub6GW%2Bqh%2BjA0Y58NttbKLhB7A%40mail.gmail.com.

Bob Killen

Aug 2, 2021, 1:54:59 PM8/2/21
to Jordan Liggitt, Celeste Horgan, Stephen Augustus, Josh Berkus, kubernetes-sig-contribex, kubernetes-sig-docs, kubernetes-sig-architecture, steering, kubernetes-sig-release
Hey folks,
Following up from today's Steering Meeting, there are a few items that should be kicked off as part of turning down the working group.
- The docs and process for the language evaluation framework should be moved over to sig-arch for long-term stewardship, Jordan will follow up with updating the API convention docs to reference it going forward
- Issues should be created for any follow up items - e.g. the tracking issue for master -> main, specifically for k/k a comment there stating sig-release's volunteer ownership or a separate issue linking back would be good
- I'll reach out separately to help spin the other various stuff down (mailing list etc)

With that, just wanted to say thanks for all your leadership in this space <3 It's been great to see the evolution of the group :)

- Bob

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "steering" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/kubernetes.io/d/msgid/steering/CAMBP-pJqjweFUuy4z3W2EOcciVMzorZdbEB9bqnrL-_qTFj1mQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Celeste Horgan

Aug 2, 2021, 6:19:10 PM8/2/21
to Bob Killen, Jordan Liggitt, Stephen Augustus, Josh Berkus, kubernetes-sig-contribex, kubernetes-sig-docs, kubernetes-sig-architecture, steering, kubernetes-sig-release
Thanks for the follow-up, y'all!

We'll get on it :)

Celeste