Kubernetes Release 1.23 Sneak Peek

Rey Lejano

Aug 20, 2021, 2:46:18 PM8/20/21
to kuberne...@googlegroups.com, le...@kubernetes.io, kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com, sig-rele...@kubernetes.io, releas...@kubernetes.io

Hello Kubernauts!

It’s time to start working towards the third and final Kubernetes release of 2021[1].

The tentative major milestones for the 1.23 release[2] are the following:

- Release Cycle begins: Monday, August 23rd

- Enhancements Freeze: Thursday, September 9th

- Code Freeze: Tuesday, November 16th

- Release Day: Tuesday, December 7th

My name is Rey Lejano and I’m the Release Lead for 1.23.

James Lavarack, Joseph Sandoval, Max Körbächer, Menna Elmasry are joining me as Release Lead shadows.
Jeremy Rickard, the Release Lead for Kubernetes 1.20, is the Emeritus Adviser.

With us, we have the following amazing Release role leads:

- Bug Triage: Christoph Voigt

- CI Signal: Hossein Salahi

- Communications: Karen Chu

- Docs: Jesse Butler

- Enhancements: Xander Grzywinski

- Release Notes: Cici Huang

There is one notable change from 1.22.

Enhancements that opt-in for 1.23 must have their Production Readiness questionnaire for the appropriate graduation phase complete by Thursday, September 2nd.

A Production Readiness Review [3] and approval is required for any KEPs targeting a release since 1.21.

This was communicated to kuberne...@googlegroups.com, le...@kubernetes.io, kubernetes-si...@googlegroups.com on August 12[4].

Starting next week, we will shell out more detailed communications about the 1.23 Release.

Please feel free to ping us on #sig-release[5] if you have questions / comments / concerns.

Thank you!

Rey Lejano

(on behalf of the Kubernetes 1.23 Release Team[6])

[1]: https://kubernetes.io/blog/2021/07/20/new-kubernetes-release-cadence/

[2]: https://github.com/kubernetes/sig-release/tree/master/releases/release-1.23

[3]: https://github.com/kubernetes/community/blob/master/sig-architecture/production-readiness.md

[4]: https://groups.google.com/g/kubernetes-sig-architecture/c/a6_y81N49aQ/m/AERcUCD0AQAJ?