exception request for storage capacity tracking GA in 1.24

Patrick Ohly

Feb 24, 2022, 5:02:16 PM2/24/22
to releas...@kubernetes.io, kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com, kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com
Hello!

SIG Storage needs an exception for promoting a feature to GA in 1.24. My
apologies for not noticing in time that something had to be done in
1.24.

Enhancement name: Storage Capacity Tracking
Enhancement status (alpha/beta/stable): stable
SIG: Storage
k/enhancements repo issue #: 1472
PR #’s: https://github.com/kubernetes/enhancements/pull/3229
Additional time needed (in days): four working days (not including the weekend)

Reason this enhancement is critical for this milestone: the v1beta1
CSIStorageCapacity API becomes deprecated in 1.24. Users will start to
see deprecation warnings without being able to switch to a
non-deprecated alternative. After considering the state of the feature,
we concluded that promotion to GA the better choice because it is ready
and doing an intermediate v1beta2 would force users to migrate twice
(first to such a v1beta2, then later v1).

Risks from adding code late: low, because the v1 API will be
functionally identical to the current v1beta1 API.

Risks from cutting enhancement: if we were to add a v1beta2 or v1 API in
a future release, users would not have enough time for the transition.

--
Best Regards

Patrick Ohly
Cloud Software Architect

Xing Yang

Feb 24, 2022, 5:08:10 PM2/24/22
to Patrick Ohly, releas...@kubernetes.io, kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com, kubernetes-sig-storage
+1.  We discussed this in the SIG-Storage meeting today and agreed to move it to GA.

Thanks,
Xing

Saad Ali

Feb 24, 2022, 8:22:08 PM2/24/22
to Xing Yang, Patrick Ohly, releas...@kubernetes.io, kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com, kubernetes-sig-storage

James Laverack

Feb 25, 2022, 8:56:30 PM2/25/22
to Saad Ali, Xing Yang, Patrick Ohly, releas...@kubernetes.io, kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com, kubernetes-sig-storage
Hi all,

Following discussion in Slack the release team is APPROVING this exception request. Your updated deadline to make any changes to your KEP is 02:00 UTC Friday 4th March 2022, which is four working days from today.

If you have any questions, please reach out to us in the #sig-release Slack channel.

Thanks,
James Laverack,
1.24 Release Team Lead