Call for Exception - Topology Manager Scope Feature

Krzysztof Wiatrzyk

Nov 2, 2020, 6:31:37 AM11/2/20
to kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com, releas...@kubernetes.io, kubernete...@googlegroups.com, Cezary Zukowski/Platform Infrastructure (NC) /SRPOL/Engineer/삼성전자, p.ra...@partner.samsung.com

Hello,

I was advised to create this Call for Exception but the reason seems trivial, it is described after filled questionnaire.

Enhancement name: Add Scope feature to Topology Manager

Enhancement status (alpha/beta/stable): beta

SIG: sig-node

k/enhancements repo issue #: 693

PR #’s: 92967

Additional time needed (in days): We follow the standard release schedule. However, we provide a clarification on why this exception is needed below.

Reason this enhancement is critical for this milestone: Resource Management for telecom operators and companies, 5G networking. Also, another feature (Memory Manager, KEP: https://github.com/kubernetes/enhancements/pull/1203) depends on this feature, and it's why this feature must be present in K8S ecosystem.

Risks from adding code late: none - code has been reviewed and it is ready

Risks from cutting enhancement: critical customer use case

The update to Topology Manager KEP, i.e. to incorporate Topology Manager Scope feature, has been already merged before the v1.19 Enhancement Freeze (https://github.com/kubernetes/enhancements/pull/1752).

However, the feature was omitted in v1.19 release, and therefore, I amended the text of the KEP to indicate that it will be present in further release, i.e. v1.20.

(PR: https://github.com/kubernetes/enhancements/pull/1950)

That is the reason why I was advised to create this Call for Exception, i.e. the tiny text KEP's change was made slightly after the Enhancement Freeze, therefore, I believe this is not an issue for you to accept this exception.

We have completed the implementation in PR #92967, it was reviewed and it is well tested.

Best regards,

Krzysztof Wiatrzyk

Jeremy Rickard

Nov 3, 2020, 1:54:35 PM11/3/20
to Krzysztof Wiatrzyk, kubernetes-sig-release, releas...@kubernetes.io, kubernete...@googlegroups.com, Cezary Zukowski/Platform Infrastructure (NC) /SRPOL/Engineer/삼성전자, p.ra...@partner.samsung.com
Hello Krzysztof,

Thank you for submitting this exception request. The release team has decided to APPROVE this exception request.

Please note that we are quickly approaching both the Docs PR Placeholder (Nov 6) and Code Freeze Deadlines (Nov 12).  Please work to ensure that this enhancement meets both of these deadlines. It appears the linked PR ( https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/pull/92967) is well on the path to merging before code freeze, but it is important that you get this in.

Thank you,

Jeremy Rickard // 1.20 Release Lead