Enhancement Exception Request: Disable AcceleratorUsage Metrics

Renaud Gaubert

Jul 9, 2020, 5:36:04 AM7/9/20
to kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com, kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com, kubernete...@googlegroups.com
Hello!

I'm sending this request for the following feature:
  • Enhancement name: Disable AcceleratorUsage Metrics
  • Enhancement status: Alpha
  • SIG: sig-node
  • k/enhancements repo issuehttps://github.com/kubernetes/enhancements/issues/1867
  • PR: The single following PR, https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/pull/91930
  • Additional time needed: None, PR is ready to review and merge, filing this because we missed the Enhancements window
  • Reason this enhancement is critical for this milestone: Currently customers do not have any knobs to turn off Accelerator metrics.
    However when Accelerator Metrics are collected, it causes significant hurdles when dealing with "outside kubernetes infrastructure" (e.g: need to kill kubelet when updating the NVIDIA driver).
  • Risks from adding code late: (to k8s stability, testing, etc.): Low to None, feature is behind a new feature flag and feature is trivial (26 lines including adding the feature flag)
  • Risks from cutting enhancement: Customers need to face significant infrastructure hurdles to the customer for an additional release.

Note that at first we expected this to be a kubelet config knob and did not think this would require a KEP, which is why we missed the enhancement freeze.
Thanks for reviewing, let me know if you need more information 🙂 !

--

Renaud Gaubert
Open Source Cloud Native Team

Taylor Dolezal

Jul 21, 2020, 2:40:44 PM7/21/20
to Renaud Gaubert, kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com, kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com, kubernete...@googlegroups.com

Hello Renaud,

(re-posting due to some browser issues)

Thank you for submitting an exception request. We are APPROVING this request.

I hope you’re doing well!

Yours truly,

Taylor Dolezal

1.19 Release Lead

Sincerely,

Taylor Dolezal

Thanks for reviewing, let me know if you need more information 🙂 !

--

Renaud Gaubert
Open Source Cloud Native Team
Santa Clara Office

Dawn Chen

Jul 21, 2020, 2:44:47 PM7/21/20
to Taylor Dolezal, Renaud Gaubert, kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com, kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com, kubernetes-sig-node
Taylor, thanks for the approval.

Renaud, I believe all required proposals and PRs are approved by us and ready for merging or already merged for 1.19 release. Thanks!