Exception Request: Server Side Unknown Field Validation

Kevin Delgado

Nov 16, 2021, 11:03:29 PM11/16/21
to kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com, releas...@kubernetes.io, kubernetes-sig...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

We are requesting an exception for a k8s 1.23 enhancement.

Enhancement name: Server Side Unknown Field Validation

Enhancement status (alpha/beta/stable): alpha

SIG: api-machinery

k/enhancements repo issue: https://github.com/kubernetes/enhancements/issues/2885

PR #’s: https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/pull/105916

Additional time needed (in days): 3

Reason this enhancement is critical for this milestone:

* Unblocks work to replace the unreliable and buggy client-side validation. * Gives users (who enable it) the ability to get warnings (by default) or errors (by choice) if they send requests with unknown or duplicated fields * Keeps us on track with work relating to openapi v3, enabling a much better openapi user experience in v3.

Risks from adding code late: (to k8s stability, testing, etc.)

* Remaining work is tightly scoped and will be well-exercised by tests in reasonable detail * The feature is alpha and gated by a feature flag rendering the new functionality inert when disabled.

Risks from cutting enhancement: (partial implementation, critical customer use case, etc.):

* Users of non-kubectl clients continue to be unable to be notified of invalid fields (and users of client-side validation continue to fight its problems). * Client-side validation and OpenAPI v2 continue to need maintenance as we shift our efforts to OpenAPI v3

Thanks for the consideration,

Kevin

Antoine Pelisse

Nov 16, 2021, 11:08:49 PM11/16/21
to Kevin Delgado, kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com, releas...@kubernetes.io, kubernetes-sig...@googlegroups.com
+1 for me.

Cici Huang

Nov 16, 2021, 11:52:08 PM11/16/21
to kubernetes-sig-release
+1. It is low risk since it's alpha and feature-gated

Kevin Wiesmüller

Nov 17, 2021, 8:28:21 AM11/17/21
to Antoine Pelisse, Kevin Delgado, kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com, releas...@kubernetes.io, kubernetes-sig...@googlegroups.com

Rey Lejano

Nov 17, 2021, 10:09:34 AM11/17/21
to Kevin Wiesmüller, Antoine Pelisse, Kevin Delgado, kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com, releas...@kubernetes.io, kubernetes-sig...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kevin,

Thank you for creating this exception request for 3 additional days after Code Freeze. With the required approvals and the KEP is low risk, we APPROVE this request. Please have the k/k PR approved & merged by Friday. If updated or new documentation is required, please create a placeholder PR to the dev-1.23 branch in k/website by tomorrow.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to us in the #sig-release Slack channel.

Thank you,
Rey Lejano
1.23 Release Team Lead

Kevin Delgado

Nov 19, 2021, 6:44:21 PM11/19/21
to kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com, releas...@kubernetes.io, kubernetes-sig...@googlegroups.com
PR #105916 has now merged. The conditions of the exception were met and the feature is now complete for 1.23. Thanks everyone for helping get this over the line.

- Kevin