exception request for KEP-4381: DRA structured parameters

Patrick Ohly

Mar 6, 2024, 4:29:11 AMMar 6
to releas...@kubernetes.io, kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com, kubernete...@googlegroups.com, kubernetes-s...@googlegroups.com, Kevin Klues, Aldo Culquicondor, Tim Hockin, John Belamaric
Hello!

I would like to ask for an exception that allows
https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/pull/123516 to be merged into
1.30 after the code freeze.

Enhancement name: DRA structured parameters
Enhancement status: alpha
SIG: Node, with Scheduling as participating SIG
k/enhancements repo issue #: #4381
PR #’s: https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/pull/123516
Additional time needed (in days): 3 (= till Friday this week)

Most of the stakeholders had reviewed their parts of the code at
the time of the code freeze, but there were still a few open questions
and we didn't get all the necessary formal approvals. We should
be able to wrap this up soon, the main risk being that some
approvers might not be available.

Reason this enhancement is critical for this milestone:

Dynamic Resource Allocation is a hot topic with a lot of attention
right now because it is relevant for AI. We need to make progress
with it because developers and users are waiting for it to mature.
"Structured parameters" look like the most promising candidate
for promotion to beta, but first we need to get it into a release.

Risks from adding code late:

Low for code quality because most of the new code is limited to
alpha APIs and/or behind a feature gate which is off by default.

Low to medium for test stability. There are some new tests that get
added, some of them in release-blocking jobs (unit and integration
tests). E2E testing is limited to non-blocking jobs.

Risks from cutting enhancement:

The existing DRA doesn't support cluster autoscaling. We need
"structured parameters" for that, and we need it in-tree to
gather feedback and iterate on it.

--
Best Regards

Patrick Ohly
Cloud Software Architect

Intel GmbH
System Software Engineering/Cloud Native
Usenerstr. 5a Phone: +49-228-2493652
53129 Bonn
Germany

John Belamaric

Mar 6, 2024, 9:09:41 AMMar 6
to Patrick Ohly, Aldo Culquicondor, Kevin Klues, Tim Hockin, kubernete...@googlegroups.com, kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com, kubernetes-s...@googlegroups.com, releas...@kubernetes.io
+1

Aldo Culquicondor

Mar 6, 2024, 9:27:32 AMMar 6
to John Belamaric, Patrick Ohly, Kevin Klues, Tim Hockin, kubernete...@googlegroups.com, kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com, kubernetes-s...@googlegroups.com, releas...@kubernetes.io
+1 from SIG Scheduling. In the scheduler side, the feature is highly isolated in its own plugin, which is disabled by the feature gate.

Aldo

Kat Cosgrove

Mar 6, 2024, 12:11:16 PMMar 6
to Aldo Culquicondor, John Belamaric, Patrick Ohly, Kevin Klues, Tim Hockin, kubernete...@googlegroups.com, kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com, kubernetes-s...@googlegroups.com, releas...@kubernetes.io
Hi all,

Following discussion in Slack, the release team is APPROVING this exception request. Your updated deadline to merge all open code implementation PRs and docs for your KEP is 18:00 PST Friday, 8th March 2024.

If you need any clarification, please reach out to us in the #sig-release Slack channel.

Thanks,
Kat Cosgrove
1.30 Release Team Lead