Exception request: probe-level termination grace period to beta

Elana Hashman

Jul 8, 2021, 7:45:06 PM7/8/21
to releas...@kubernetes.io, kubernetes-sig-release, kubernete...@googlegroups.com
  • Enhancement name: Add configurable grace period to probes
  • Enhancement status: Beta
  • SIG: Node
  • Enhancement contacts: Elana Hashman, Shiming Zhang, Raisaat Rashid
  • k/enhancements repo issue #: 2238
  • PR #’s: https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/pull/103168 https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/pull/103245
  • Additional time needed (in days): 1 week
  • Reason this enhancement is critical for this milestone: Graduating a bugfix KEP to ensure it can reach users as quickly as possible, as kubelet bug fixes take many releases to graduate due to version skew support
  • Risks from adding code late: Low. Actual code changes between the two PRs are about ~6 lines, plus unit test updates. There is only one semantic change (additional validation), and everything else is limited to feature flags and unit tests. No e2e updates.
  • Risks from cutting enhancement: We have partially implemented fixes to prevent users from setting the termination grace period to a negative value, but it has not yet fully landed (see 2nd half in #103245). We found some final small issues in API review today (07/08) on both PRs that need to be resolved before merge. The main risk is that this feature already isn't slated to fully graduate until 1.25, and is currently slated to remain off by default until 1.24 to avoid version skew issues; an additional release delay pushes this to 1.26.

Savitha Raghunathan

Jul 12, 2021, 9:26:37 PM7/12/21
to Elana Hashman, releas...@kubernetes.io, kubernetes-sig-release, kubernete...@googlegroups.com
Hi Elana,

Thanks for creating this exception request. After following the discussion here,  we are APPROVING this request. Please make sure to merge the completed PRs by July 14th, EOD Pacific time. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to us in the #sig-release slack channel.

Have a great day!

Regards,
Savitha,
1.22 Release Team Lead

Elana Hashman

Jul 13, 2021, 3:29:02 PM7/13/21
to Savitha Raghunathan, releas...@kubernetes.io, kubernetes-sig-release, kubernete...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Savitha!

The first PR is merged and the next should be merged by EOD!

- e