1.24 Release schedule and Node Soft Code Freeze (Mar. 4)

Elana Hashman

Jan 11, 2022, 3:38:10 PM1/11/22
to kubernete...@googlegroups.com
Greetings programs,

The release schedule is now available for 1.24! The highlights:
  • Enhancements freeze (week 4) is Thu. Feb. 3
  • Code freeze (week 12) is Tue. Mar. 29
  • Proposed release date (week 15) is Tue. Apr. 19

In addition to this, we would like to propose a Node-specific soft code freeze between enhancements freeze and code freeze on Friday March 4, 2022. This helped us significantly in the 1.23 release to ensure features merged early and didn't bunch up at the end of the release. As a reminder, we define our soft freeze as follows:
  • Beta graduations and deprecations should be fully merged by this date
  • Alpha features and GA must have PRs open that should be ready to review
After the soft freeze, any features that missed the deadline will be evaluated for removal from the release milestone in the March 8 SIG meeting.

Please reply if you have any questions or feedback on the proposed date,

- e

Elana Hashman

Mar 1, 2022, 12:51:13 PM3/1/22
to kubernete...@googlegroups.com
Hey folks,

A reminder that our soft freeze is nearly here, this upcoming Friday March 4! We will discuss in today's SIG Node meeting.

The following KEPs are expected to be fully merged (Beta/Deprecations):

The following KEPs should have WIPs up that are ready for review (Alpha/GA):

Thanks,

- e

Adrian Reber

Mar 7, 2022, 2:17:24 AM3/7/22
On Tue, Mar 01, 2022 at 09:50:50AM -0800, Elana Hashman wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> A reminder that our soft freeze is nearly here, this upcoming *Friday March
> 4*! We will discuss in today's SIG Node meeting.
>
> The following KEPs are expected to be *fully merged* (Beta/Deprecations):
>
> - 281: DynamicKubeletConfig
> https://github.com/kubernetes/enhancements/issues/281
> - 2133: Kubelet Credential Provider
> https://github.com/kubernetes/enhancements/issues/2133
> - 2221: Dockershim removal
> https://github.com/kubernetes/enhancements/issues/2221
> - 2371: cAdvisor-less, CRI-full stats
> https://github.com/kubernetes/enhancements/issues/2371
> - 2400: Swap https://github.com/kubernetes/enhancements/issues/2400
> - 2712: PriorityClassValueBasedGracefulShutdown
> https://github.com/kubernetes/enhancements/issues/2712
> - 2727: gRPC probes
> https://github.com/kubernetes/enhancements/issues/2727
>

> The following KEPs should have WIPs up that are *ready for review*
> (Alpha/GA):
>
> - 688: PodOverhead https://github.com/kubernetes/enhancements/issues/688
> - 1287: In-place Pod Vertical Scaling
> https://github.com/kubernetes/enhancements/issues/1287
> - 2008: Container Checkpointing (CRIU)
> https://github.com/kubernetes/enhancements/issues/2008

Pull request is ready for review at

https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/pull/104907

There is also a documentation pull request open looking for reviewers:

https://github.com/kubernetes/website/pull/31753

Adrian