Request for comments and discussion - Allow disabling Kubelet containers log cleanup

Ricardo Katz

Feb 14, 2024, 4:18:12 PMFeb 14
to kubernete...@googlegroups.com
Hello sig ppl,

I have received a request to verify, during a forensics, to keep the
Pod/containers logs on a node and figured out that today it is not
possible to sign to kubelet that it should not always remove the logs
[1] when a container is gone. For that, I have raised an issue [2]

My request is: even Kubelet being the responsible for always issuing
this cleanup [3], what if I actually want myself to be the responsible
for it? So the proposal I want to discuss is about controlling this
behavior, and allowing a cluster admin to disable/skip this cleanup.

So as pointed out by Kevin, I would like to know:
* Is the information here and on the issue enough? If not, do you need
me to go to some SIG meeting to discuss a bit more?
* If this is enough, does this make sense?
* Do you think this needs a KEP?
* If not, can I proceed with the change?

Thanks!

[1] https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/blob/252e1d2dfee63e3165c4277ce1709d635df5132f/pkg/kubelet/kuberuntime/kuberuntime_container.go#L1267
[2] https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/issues/123279
[3] https://github.com/containerd/containerd/issues/8648