[Proposal] SIG Node soft code freeze deadline of Oct. 15

Elana Hashman

Aug 10, 2021, 2:23:12 PM8/10/21
to kubernete...@googlegroups.com
Greetings programs,

In today's SIG Node meeting we discussed the issue of features and deprecations all bunching up for review and landing around last cycle's code freeze deadline. As a result, the CI subgroup spent nearly the entire month of code freeze chasing down the test regressions and failures that resulted.

In the future, we would like to try to prevent such pileups and avoid test regressions at the start of code freeze. Therefore, for the 1.23 cycle, we are proposing a soft code freeze date for SIG Node on October 15.

What would this mean?
  • Promotions to beta and deprecations must be merged by this date
  • WIP PRs must be submitted for all alpha and GA features

Please share your feedback. We will discuss this again at next week's (Aug. 17) SIG Node meeting.

- e

Elana Hashman

Sep 15, 2021, 3:22:55 PM9/15/21
to kubernete...@googlegroups.com
We've discussed this at a few SIG Node meetings with no additional comments, so by lazy consensus we've adopted this soft deadline.

The following beta features should be merged by Oct. 15 in order to graduate:
  • KEP 277: Ephemeral Containers
  • KEP 2040: Kubelet CRI Support
  • KEP 2133: Kubelet credential provider
  • KEP 2400: Node system swap support
  • KEP 2403: Extend podresources API to report allocatable resources
  • KEP 2625: Add options to reject non SMT-aligned workload

The following alpha features should have PRs open (and ready for review) by Oct. 15:
  • KEP 1287: In-place Pod update
  • KEP 2273: VPA CRI Changes
  • KEP 2371: cAdvisor-less, CRI-full Container and Pod stats
  • KEP 2535: Ensure Secret Pulled Images
  • KEP 2712: PriorityClassValueBasedGracefulShutdown
  • KEP 2727: Add gRPC probe to Pod
  • KEP 2902: CPUManager policy option to distribute CPUs across NUMA nodes

Please ensure you link your open PRs in the k/enhancements tracking issue so the Release Team and reviewers can find it.

Note that this is only one month away! Reviewers and approvers can be flexible, but please do not leave feature work until the very last minute before code freeze.

- e

ehas...@redhat.com

Oct 4, 2021, 1:38:00 PM10/4/21
to kubernetes-sig-node
Reminder that this is only 2 weeks away!

ehas...@redhat.com

Oct 5, 2021, 2:04:59 PM10/5/21
to kubernetes-sig-node
Per today's SIG Node meeting, since our internal soft deadline falls during KubeCon, we've decided to push things out another week to Oct. 22 so that approvers and reviewers will have sufficient time for reviews.

Looking at enhancements issues, more than half our our KEPs listed below don't have any PRs linked. Please ensure there is a link in the kubernetes/enhancements tracking issue to any code PRs for your KEP, and check over existing linked PRs for accuracy. This is how approvers and the release team keep track of code changes for your enhancement. If you don't keep this up to date, it's much harder to find your PR for review.

Appendix: KEP List from today's meeting

  • Beta

    • KEP 277:    Ephemeral Containers

      • No linked PRs
    • KEP 2040:    Kubelet CRI Support

      • No linked PRs
    • KEP 2133:    Kubelet credential provider

      • No linked PRs
    • KEP 2400:    Node system swap support

      • No linked PRs
    • KEP 2403:    Extend podresources API to report allocatable resources

    • KEP 2625:    Add options to reject non SMT-aligned workload

    • KEP 1287:    In-place Pod update

    • KEP 2273:    VPA CRI Changes

      • No linked PRs
    • KEP 2371:    cAdvisor-less, CRI-full Container and Pod stats

      • No linked PRs
    • KEP 2535:    Ensure Secret Pulled Images

    • KEP 2727:    Add gRPC probe to Pod

    • KEP 2902:    CPUManager policy option to distribute CPUs across NUMA nodes

      • No linked PRs

ehas...@redhat.com

Oct 19, 2021, 9:09:09 PM10/19/21
to kubernetes-sig-node
Final reminder! Many node reviewers/approvers will be OOO on Friday; please make sure you are ready to go!

- e