Exception request for 'In-place Update of Pod Resources'

Vinay Kulkarni

Mar 14, 2023, 2:35:09 PM3/14/23
to kubernete...@googlegroups.com, releas...@kubernetes.io, kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Please review the below exception request. The mothership PR https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/pull/102884 has been merged. It has exposed a few bugs in standalone kubelet use-case and we also identified a better naming structure for the policy names. We have fixed and merged a few follow-up changes, but there are two PRs that are still outstanding and being discussed and need some additional time.

  • Enhancement name: In-place Update of Pod Resources
  • Enhancement status (alpha/beta/stable): alpha
  • SIG: sig-node
  • k/enhancements repo issue #: 1287
  • PR #’s: 116504116119
  • Additional time needed (in days): 3
  • Reason this enhancement is critical for this milestone: GKE wants to use this to resize infra daemonset pods, Okteto wants this to resize cloud dev env pods, many more companies need it for various use cases,
  • Risks from adding code late: (to k8s stability, testing, etc.) Featuregate limits risk, but there is a medium risk from scenarios not adequately tested in CI
  • Risks from cutting enhancement: (partial implementation, critical customer usecase, etc.) Many use cases are blocked, criticality is unknown, cost & carbon footprint of using K8s to run workloads is going to remain higher than it needs to be.

Sergey Kanzhelev

Mar 15, 2023, 3:22:25 PM3/15/23
to Vinay Kulkarni, kubernete...@googlegroups.com, releas...@kubernetes.io, kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

We discussed this yesterday at the SIG Node meeting and we agreed to grant exception to make sure the KEP is well tested and API feedback is addressed. Both PRs that were discussed on the call and touching code were merged already:

We however have the following work left:

1. Two pending test-only PRs to improve test coverage that I will mark for 1.27 milestone:

2. There are also some windows tests that need to be skipped. PR for this are already marked for the milestone:

3. Test failure bugs that may not be active any longer, but needs to be looked at before the test freeze:

/Sergey