Exception request: SizeMemoryBackedVolumes to beta

Derek Carr

Mar 16, 2021, 5:01:37 PM3/16/21
to kubernetes-sig-node, releas...@kubernetes.io, kubernetes-sig-release
Enhancement name: Support to size memory backed volumes
Enhancement status: Beta
SIG: Node
Additional time needed (in days): 0, no further work is needed beyond the 1-line PR posted
Reason this enhancement is critical for this milestone: Usage of memory backed empty dir volumes is restricted by their behavior being coupled to the node size they are scheduled.  This inhibits usage of the feature in environments.  The code was introduced in Alpha and has no negative drawbacks identified, and users are keen to leverage it.  I had only discovered my error in not promoting the feature when I went to document the change in feature gate today.  Documentation for the feature already exists based on its alpha state.
Risks from adding code late: Low risk, e2e coverage for the feature is rich.
Risks from cutting enhancement: Delaying this inhibits usage of Kubernetes in particular vertical segments that make use of memory backed volumes, e.g. telco/5g.

Apologies to the release team for the late request, as noted above, I thought I had pushed this PR and it was not until I went to update the doc that I saw the error.

Thanks,
Derek

Davanum Srinivas

Mar 17, 2021, 2:03:55 PM3/17/21
to kubernetes-sig-node
Folks,

I forgot to put a `/hold` when i `/approve`d this one line PR. Please let us know if it's ok to stay merged.

thanks,
Dims

Nabarun Pal

Mar 17, 2021, 2:47:15 PM3/17/21
to Derek Carr, kubernetes-sig-node, release-team, kubernetes-sig-release
Hi Derek,

Thank you for filing this exception request.

At this point in the release cycle, we are considering only release blocking and critical features. We have decided to DENY this exception request. We look forward to seeing this in v1.22.

I noticed that the implementation PR already merged a few hours ago. Can you please revert the same?

Best,
Nabarun Pal

Davanum Srinivas

Mar 17, 2021, 3:41:46 PM3/17/21
to Nabarun Pal, Derek Carr, kubernetes-sig-node, release-team, kubernetes-sig-release
Nabarun,

Since i made the mistake :) i've filed a revert

please `/lgtm`

-- Dims

Nabarun Pal

Mar 18, 2021, 12:42:21 AM3/18/21
to Davanum Srinivas, Derek Carr, kubernetes-sig-node, release-team, kubernetes-sig-release
On Thu, Mar 18, 2021 at 1:11 AM Davanum Srinivas <dav...@gmail.com> wrote:
Since i made the mistake :) i've filed a revert
Thank you, Dims. No worries. :)

--
Best,
Nabarun Pal (pronoun.is/he)