What is the function of nfd-master?Just commnuicate with apiserver?

james beck

May 4, 2022, 12:28:50 PM5/4/22
to kubernetes-sig-node
I have seen the source code of node-feature-discovery recently.As a beginner coder,I found that nfd-worker and nfd-topology-updater collect the hardware  information.And then they send setlabels and nodetopologyrequest to the nfd-master. And then ,nfd-master sends patch to the apiserver.So I ask a question. Why k8s node, as well as nfd-worker and nfd-topologupdater don't send hardware information to apiserver directly? Is nfd-master'role just to forward messages?

Carlos Eduardo Arango Gutierrez

May 4, 2022, 2:33:33 PM5/4/22
to kubernetes-sig-node
Hey ! james beck

NFD-master is a security consideration, you don't want an agent with the ability to edit/patch node info running as a daemonset.
Is easier and more recommended to separate application priviledges this way.

Hope this helps clarify your question

Lehtonen, Markus

May 4, 2022, 2:46:12 PM5/4/22
to Carlos Eduardo Arango Gutierrez, kubernetes-sig-node

Hi folks,

That's right, it's basically for separation of duties and privileges. History lesson: originally, NFD used to be just one daemon(set) responsible for the discovery and accessing the K8s API but we decided to split it into two because of those considerations.

Cheers,

  MArkus

james beck

May 10, 2022, 12:06:08 PM5/10/22