Exception request for KEP-4144: Optionally Disable HealthCheck Ports for LoadBalancers with ExternalTrafficPolicy=Local

Shane Xie

Oct 10, 2023, 8:24:34 AM10/10/23
to kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com, releas...@kubernetes.io, kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I'm sorry that I took some days to understand the KEP process, and missed the due date. I'd like to request an exception for enhancement freeze.

Enhancement name: Optionally Disable HealthCheck Ports for LoadBalancers with ExternalTrafficPolicy=Local
Enhancement status (alpha/beta/stable): alpha
SIG: sig-network
Additional time needed (in days): No, the development will be done before the code freeze.
Reason this enhancement is critical for this milestone: This was discussed to target 1.29. Our end-user complains about unused node ports allocation for months already, we want to deliver this asap.
Risks from adding code late: (to k8s stability, testing, etc.): more unused node ports being allocated on the nodes, so the large clusters will suffer from shortage of node ports.
Risks from cutting enhancement: (partial implementation, critical customer usecase, etc.): Our end-user will keep complaining about this, they have to cut node port usages.

Best regards,
Shane Xie

Priyanka Saggu

Oct 11, 2023, 10:30:38 AM10/11/23
to Shane Xie, kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com, releas...@kubernetes.io, kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Following discussion in Slack, the release team is REJECTING this exception request. This is due to the fact that we're approaching the 1.29 code freeze in just 3 weeks, and everyone involved in the discussion (Release Team, KEP reviewers, and KEP author) agrees that it's too tight to get both the KEP reviewed and merged, as well as the code merged in such a short time-frame.

If you need any clarification, please reach out to us in the #sig-release Slack channel.

Thanks,
Priyanka Saggu,
1.29 Release Team Lead