Ingress NGINX - Engaging community and keeping the development going

Ricardo Katz

Apr 19, 2021, 5:54:57 PM4/19/21
to kubernetes-sig-network
Hi SIG,

As most of you already know, Alejandro stepped down from being the maintainer of ingress-nginx (github.com/kubernetes/ingress-nginx). We are really thankful for all the effort Alejandro has put on the past years in ingress-nginx, myself as an example of a heavy user of the software.

In the past few weeks, I've tried to think into how to keep this project being developed, as A LOT OF USERS still rely on this. (I've heard somewhere that ingress-nginx is the second mostly used Kubernetes project, only behind Kubernetes itself)

The fact is: We have a few people engaged with the project nowadays, and all of them have few to no bandwidth for all the tasks: issue triage, bug fix, feature requests, support.

So I was talking with Elvin (who is actually maintaining the project) + Bowei and would like to propose the following:

* We need to discuss what's the mid and long term plan for Ingress NGINX. What do we want the project to be? Enter in maintenance mode and we only fix bugs? Keep accepting features? Be an official part of sig-network (it actually is, but became more active as netpol, kproxy, etc).
* How to engage the community with the project? I have in mind some things:
1) Create a recurring official meeting (bi-weekly? monthly?) to make some issue triage and discuss some pain points of the project.
2) In case of support issues, close them directing users to get help in discuss/slack/stackoverflow. I know this might sound a bit aggressive, but there's too much support issues and a few people to triage all of them :)
3) In case of bug fixes and feature requests, discuss them during the meeting the same way we do in sig-net and other SIGs and subprojects, trying to assign people from the community to triage them
4) For PRs it would be good to have more people effectively reviewing them. So the idea is to make some attempt to engage people to review the PRs during the meeting when time is available.

We need the community to participate in this, and understand that it's not only a matter of requesting something/opening an issue and waiting for someone to fix it (otherwise, no one is going to maintain it). Ideas are welcome.

And just to clarify, I have no bandwidth to keep this going for a long time, so anyone willing to help (or run this!) is really welcome!

Carlos Tadeu Panato Jr

Apr 20, 2021, 6:51:11 AM4/20/21
to Ricardo Katz, kubernetes-sig-network
Thanks Ricardo

I use a lot of this project and i will help as well.

I will start reviewing the issues this week

Carlos

Typed slowly with one finger on my phone. Please forgive any interesting auto-corrections or misunderstanding typos.

James Strong

Apr 20, 2021, 10:28:17 AM4/20/21
to Carlos Tadeu Panato Jr, Ricardo Katz, kubernetes-sig-network
I brought it up in the slack channel responding here too.

I would like to help as well.

Thanks,
James

Bowei Du

Apr 20, 2021, 12:40:36 PM4/20/21
to Ricardo Katz, kubernetes-sig-network
This is a great start. It seems like there is enough interest -- should we figure out a time?

Bowei

Ricardo Katz

Apr 20, 2021, 6:09:19 PM4/20/21
to Bowei Du, kubernetes-sig-network
Hey folks,

I've created the Doodle to set the best time for our first meeting: https://doodle.com/poll/tk6s6qc623qwyeth
I've really tried to put dates/times that can fit for Pacific folks (even if they need to wake at 8AM) and to Europe folks (even if they need to sleep at 11pm :)

Also, I've set up an agenda template, some open items to discussions, the already model Elvin said in Slack: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DKlpcV6DAW0DsBrzh-OLkZvJQmABCVfRIRWBWjc4zOs/edit?usp=sharing

Feel free to reach by.

Doodle closes  Thursday, 11:59 Pacific Time this week, so please be sure you put your dates there.

The meeting will be recorded as well.

Ricardo Katz

Apr 23, 2021, 8:54:31 AM4/23/21
to Bowei Du, kubernetes-sig-network
Doodle is closed, here are the details for the meeting:

Date/Time: Tuesday, Apr 27th, 9:00 AM Pacific Time (https://everytimezone.com/s/26f0afbd)
Meeting notes: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DKlpcV6DAW0DsBrzh-OLkZvJQmABCVfRIRWBWjc4zOs/edit?usp=sharing (please add items in the "Open items for the next meeting" section

For this first meeting, I would like to focus on creating the group (fixing this time/date), ownership (more people to run the meeting and review PRs), issue triage process and mainly discussing the plans for continuity of Ingress NGINX

See you all there! Have a great weekend!

Ricardo Katz

Apr 27, 2021, 1:46:20 PM4/27/21
to kubernetes-sig-network
Hi folks,

As a follow up of the Ingress NGINX meeting, I would like to hear about other folks (the one that attended and the one that didn't) if we can keep the current day/time for every other week as the official subproject meeting.

So the proposed time is:
* Every other tuesday, 9AM Pacific time

If no one opposes it, I'll ask for Casey to add this on the official SIG agenda.

I'll not be able to attend every meeting as explained during today's meeting, but James Strong will help me moderating and conducting this.

The next steps is to map the internal repository (every part), for some contributors guideline, do some PR and issue categorization and then we can start discussing about how to do issue triage, PRs reviews and a roadmap for the project.

I would like to thank everybody that joined today, and especially Bowei for helping me moderating and guiding through this first meeting, it was really helpful.

Have a nice week and stay safe you all

On Sat, Apr 24, 2021 at 3:31 AM Ming Wen <wen...@apache.org> wrote:
Hi, Ricardo,
     Great work!
     Looking forward to the first online meeting.
    I can help maintain nginx and Lua related issues and PRs, I have contributed related PR to this project before.

Thanks,
Ming Wen
Twitter: _WenMing

Ricardo Katz <ricard...@gmail.com> 于2021年4月23日周五 下午8:54写道:

Carlos Tadeu Panato Jr

Apr 28, 2021, 10:40:06 AM4/28/21
to Ricardo Katz, kubernetes-sig-network
thanks for the summary Ricardo

something happened in my brain that I forgot this meeting :(

Sladyn nunes

Apr 28, 2021, 10:47:56 AM4/28/21
to kubernetes-sig-network
Hi,

I missed this meeting too but the timing proposed to the community suits me.

Thanks
Sladyn Nunes

Antonio Ojea

May 19, 2021, 4:30:50 PM5/19/21
to Sladyn nunes, kubernetes-sig-network
just a heads up with something IMPORTANT for the nginx-project that I've found this week.

nginx-ingress will not work with kubernetes 1.22 and newer versions until it moves to ingress/v1 api

James Strong

May 19, 2021, 7:15:40 PM5/19/21
to Antonio Ojea, Sladyn nunes, kubernetes-sig-network
I'll make sure to add this to the top of the stack for the community meeting next week.

We have until aug 8th for the k8s 1.22 release, correct?

The version of k8s supported in the ingress project is still an open issue that needs resolved.

After reading the comments in the issue, I want to make sure I understand that this is an internal change to the networking api ingress-nginx uses.

We would have to instruct users in the docs if using k8s 1.22+ to use 0.47.0 (I assume that will be the release number)?

-James